Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Help!!

My daughter is 6 weeks old, she was born 8 weeks early and I have been bfing for the last 2 weeks or so. She has to take vitamins twice a day and gaviscon for reflux with every feed. I have been using a syringe to give the gaviscon but sometimes it is just impossible!! She just won't take it and I have ended up trying it in a bottle as well. The problem with this is that she just won;t swallow any of the milk from the bottle...am I confusing her too much with all this messing about with the feeding??? I just want to find a way to feed her well and make sure she gets her meds well...does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• Options
    I used to give my dd her gaviscon (just mixed up with water, and not added to milk, so it was only about 15ml) in a doidy cup just after the feed so could try that. She was a bit older when we started the gaviscon though, about 15 weeks I think.
  • Options
    if it helps the gaviscon tastes rotten to them, my lo used to manage to spit most of it back out and there was no way he would entertain having it from a bottle. We used a syringe for a while but he could spit that out so ended up using the little side of a medicine spoon, but he was maybe 8 weeks or so by then.

They are very hardy so she probably won't get confused. Are you able to give just bm now or are you supplementing ie do does she need extra milk from the bottle on top of what she is getting from bf? x
  • Options
    Thanks girls...she is a bit better with the bottle now. I mis it with 10-15 ml of formula. My HV told to express but I haven;t got time, she wants to eat all the time!! lol She is not happy taking it but the bottle is better than the spoon or syringe especially if she is tired. It's trial and error...we'll get there.

Thanks again