Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Vitamin drops after 6 months

Morning ladies. My LO is just over 6 months old and i am still breastfeeding him. He is on 3 solid meals a day although we are still only doing fruit and veg and are yet to venture into meat/pasta/lentils etc, that's coming next week! I understand that they need to have vitamin drops if they are still breastfeeding. My health visitor said i could get them in Boots and to make sure they contain iron in them but couldn't give me the name of any.

Which drops do you use, if any? I have bought vitabiotics wellkid baby & infant, which is a liquid that you have to give them once a day. I haven't opened it yet as i'm not sure if it the right thing! I think i bought it on impulse! Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• Options
    Hi! My daughter is now 4 and I breast fed her till she was 2 and a half. I never gave vitamins (I did buy some like you - bought abidec I think they were called) My health visitor and dietican said as long as they had a varied diet they didn't need it. It is true their iron stores deplete at about 6 months but giving cereal with a little fresh orange helps to absorb iron, green leafy veg as tolerated and once you do start, red meat, like bolognase. Obviously it is everyone's individual choice but I never bothered and my child is fit and well. I am pregnant again and I won't be using them. Ask some more professionals what they think x
  • Options
    I'd get a second opinion from someone else too. I was told this for the first time a couple of weeks ago, my dd is now 9 months and I've never given her vitamins. It's been nagging me since, and I don't really know what to do.

She eats a very varied diet with food from all the food groups every day, 5 fruit and veg, red meat and loves green leafy veg. So she's getting a balanced diet and there therefore shouldn't be any need to give extra vitamins surely? If if there is, why don't the HVs give them out for free rather than expecting us to pay either for vitamin drops or formula?

It really annoys me how we're told we're doing the best thing by breastfeeding, but then all of a sudden we're not. We can't win!
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies ladies. I am still in 2 minds whether to give them to him or not. I am going to soon try him on meat etc next week so once that is all established then he will be getting a varied diet. He loves his food and polishes off most things we give him so i don't think the intake will be a problem. Like you said A-Nonny-Mouse (love the user name by the way, lol!) if they were needed then surely by us doing 'the best thing' for our LOs by breastfeeding them then they should provide them for free. I spent about ??6.50 on these drops/liquid. Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't worry about spending the money if LO needed them but thinking about it i'm not so sure i'll bother. Thanks for all you help ladies. x
  • Options
    I agree too. Also they say to give them till they're two but formula fed babies technically dont need formula after 12 months and can go on to cows milk so why arent they advised to give them? Breast is best then a balanced diet will be fine I am sure. My daughter is fine and I wont consider them for this baby. Nothing to do with money, it's daft when they are getting all they need from breast milk and a healthy diet. Thats my opinion anyway!