Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tongue tie - please help

When my son was born he latched on straight away but then at each subsequent feed he'd get more and more frustrated and feed for less time until he wouldn't latch at all. On day 2 I started giving him formula and expressiv but still showing him

Boob during the day but he's suck onve r twice then fall off. On day 5 I decides to stop expressing and just formula feed however that evening the midwife came over and discovered he has tongue tie which is why he won't latch on, we're going on Wednesday evening to get this sorted a then he may latch on. My question is I'm having trouble expressing to keep up my milk supply I'm trying every 2-3 hours during the day. He will latch on with nipple shield for 1 min max each feed but usually only 10 sucks.

Will it be too late by Wednesday to teach him to latch ? Obviously his been having bottles all this tome and they're easier for him ?

Do you think my supply will last long enough until a time he has learnt to feed enough that he'll boost my supply back up?

Hope that all makes sense I'm so desperate to feed him myself it breaks my heart to see him crying everytime.

Replies

• Options
    If you want to you will should be able to get him back to the breast, it is even possible to re lactate, someone on here did this a few months ago. You will probably have to keep giving top ups but you should be able to reduce these as he builds your supply back up, I think it will be hard work doing it, and you will need to let him feed A LOT.

Can you get some advice from a lactation consultant at all?

I wish you all the best, it won't be easy and will take determination but fingers crossed you will manage xx