Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

peer supporters

are there any formally trained supporters (ie by the ABM or similar) on here? I'm looking at starting training after easter. I'd be interested to here real views on what its like to be a peer supporter and the training.

Replies

• Options
    I've done the nct peer support training. really enjoyed it, there was a lot of focus on communication skills, which makes sense, then we went through positioning + attachment, had expressing, problems that can occur, things that can positively/negatively impact on bf. as a role its mostly by text here and we go along to a local group, and are hoping to start hospital visits soon. hope you enjoy the course and the role x
  • Options
    I am a trained Peer Counsellor. Was hoping to get into hospital visiting but for the group I trained with it never happened. However me and another couple of girls run the local Breastfeeding support group at our local health centre once a week which is great. We are hoping to set up a website and also have a page on facebook. Currently trying to get a mobile phone too for people to contact us. I love it, it's so good being able to help people. The course was really good too, did the La Leche course and we meet up regularly for updates
  • Options
    Hi Hun I'm a peer supporter trained by la leche. Basically we are trained to help with latching on, positioning, health benefits of breast vs bottle, spotting "red flags" such as thrush, mastitis, etc and refferring them to doc/hv. We go into hospitals to inform mummies who we are and what we do, go to antenatal classes to promote bfing and warn of possible problems and how to over come them so more mummies are encouraged to carry on dispite these probs, we also go to the local bf club and help with any issues/questions, there is also a mobile phone that is handed around between us and is switched on 24/7 incase a mummy needs help for example the middle of the night. I LOVE being a peer supporter. The work we do is invaluable and seeing as tho Shropshire has the 2nd highest bfing rate in the country I think we do a good job! I hope u go 4 it xxx
  • Options
    I'm also a LLL peer supporter and love it at the moment i am on the rota of two support groups and the rota for the support phone helpline and hopefully in the near future I'll be volunteering in the hospital once a week (they already have 5 nights coveredimage

The course is really interesting and its great when you can offer advice to help new moms

xx