Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

weight loss and breastfeeding

i have been breastfeeding zac since he was 3 days old he is now 14 days old and he seems to be doing everything right, i feed him when he wants which is usually every 3/4 hours sometimes he has a feed in between and he feeds between 10 and 20 minutes at a time, he has wet and dirty nappies which i guess is a good sign but he hasnt gained any weight he was 11lb 5oz at birth and by day 5 had lost 7oz midwife siad this was ok as long as he didnt lose anymore since then he lost another 8oz but now the midwife isnt concerned she said its not like he is little and will starve! but still isnt a little over 1lb a lot in 2 weeks and do you think feeding isnt going as well as i think it is???

any advice is very welcome image

Replies

• Options
    this can be called catch down or something, and can happen with babies that were bigger at birth, which is probably why no-one is concerned at the moment. As long as he is having wet and dirty nappies and you aren't in pain when feeding then all is more than likely well. Keep going and keep and eye but I'm sure he will start gaining when he is ready xx