Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My 12 month old still wakes twice 4 a bottle. Any advice on how to cut this out

Hi All,

My just turned 12 month old baby goes to bed every night at the same time of 8pm, sometimes before depending on how tired she, but never after 8pm with a 6oz bottle. She wakes up during the night at about 1am and 4am.  Assuming she is hungry, i do a 6oz bottle.  Sometimes she drinks it all, and other times she doesn't.  I want to try and get her out of this habit, as i currently dread going to bed, knowing that i have to get up at least once.  Am i being selfish about my sleep deprivation?  Should she be sleeping through the night, and if i manage to stop her waking during the night, should i carry on giving her the 2 bottles of 4oz in the day.  Bear in mind i still give her SMA...should i be changing to full cows milk?.

Any help or advice would be greatly appricated

PS she is not teeting as far as i know, as she has had tooth 8 come through, but her 1st molars could be starting to come through 

Replies

• Options
    have you try NIGHT MILK? it seems to be more filling than normal milk. my son took that and he didnt wake up for more milk in the night....but now he is back to square one since my daughter was born.
  • Options
    Hiya i know just how you feel my daugther is 14 months and still wakes in the night for bottles sometimes she will drink it all and some times she dont. and she is still on powder milk as ive been haveing trouble changeing her over to cows milk. My health visitor told me to make sure she is eating enouth in the day as that can be a resion why she is wakeing in the night, but she said the best way to wean her off the milk in the night is to water it down an oz each night, so you would put 6oz of water with 5oz of milk and there ment to start to not like it so they stop wakeing for it. but my daugther is a right  little maddam and stated chucking the bottle back at me. i was also told to offer water in stead of milk at night if it didnt work. but kyra wasnt well when i was told all this so i havent been able to stick to doing any of it yet but i hope this helps and works for you and your little girl xx
  • Options

First of all it is not recommended to give a child up to the age of 3 normal cow milk so you should not think about switching to it when you have 12-months old baby.

Your baby might  wake up at night not because she is hungry (as sometimes she does not want milk at all) but because she needs an affection, needs to know that you are around her and that she is safe. So instead of giving drink to her just cuddle her and put her back to bed. Otherwise it might keep going on like this.

• Options

Hi Milina, are you a Health Visitor?  Sorry to ask, but who has told you to not give cows milk until 3....every person and 4 health visitors i have had contact with have said to wean off formula and go to full fat cows milk at 1.  I did the same with my eldest and did her no harm.  3 seems a little long for formula feeding. 

I will be tring the 5oz formula 1oz cows milk for 2 nights, then reduce more and so on.  See if that workks 

• Options

No, I am not a health visitor but in every parent/child magazine I had read says that cow milk should not be ginven to under 3 years olds. That is why you have SMA junior which is designed for 1 year and older toddlers as cow milk does not contain any iron but has lactose that can cause alergy in children.

I do not believe health visitors anymore since mine had told me that I was to breastfeed my daughter every three hours when it only relates to bottle-fed children.

This is only my oppinion and you have rights to do what you think is good for your child.

• Options

The health benefits of follow on milk are really debatable.There is a certain amount of iron in cow's milk.If you fed your one year old milk only then no they wouldn't get enough iron from cow's milk alone.Iron is also found in many other food sources naturally.If you feed your one year old a full balanced diet there is no need to continue feeding them formula past a year.Vitamins and minerals found naturally in a balance diet are of greater value than those given artificially in a formula.

Lactose is found in all milk products,except those that are lactose free.Formula is made with cows milk,and a whole lot of other stuff added.Lactose doesn't cause an allergy.Some babies are allergic to lactose,in which case they would be allergic to normal formula except lactose free(Wysoy and other similar).They may have excema,don't gain weight,genuine allergy.Some have an intolerance which becomes more obvious when you change them onto whole cow's milk,and they often grow out of,which is what my 2 year old has just about done.

It's also worth bearing in mind that a lot of the information you find in these magazines is sponsored by a certain make of formula,most are making 1+ milk now.That ad with the giant cup of milk is just one ad we're also bombarded with.What they don't mention is the higher amount of sugar these products contain,which is why the babies like them so much.There's a lot of money to be made in telling mothers their baby NEEDS something,cos we all want what's best for our baby.

As answer to the original question,I would make sure babies eating lots in the day.My ten month old has breakfast,dinner ,tea.9 oz bottle mid morning.9 oz bottle  bedtime 8:00.Wakes at 7ish in the morning.If they're getting enough food,they shouldn't need milk in the night,it becomes a habit.Offer water and a quick cuddle if she wakes,but back to bed without too much attention.Try and get your baby to settle themself.As you put them down give a particular teddy each time,so that that toy becomes a sleep cue.If they do stir in the night if they have that toy nearby they will learn to settle themself.All my children have had one or more sleeping toys.Also have a consistant routine through the day,and a good bedtime routine,all those things help.My children all sleep very well,they always have.Which means I do too.

Hope you have some luck with your baby

• Options
    I had trouble with my son to get him to sleep through the night. He was breastfeed then I swapped him onto Goats milk as it is easier for us to digest and contains less lactose.

I would agree try to encourage some super shortly before bed to try a give the full feeling for longer. Try ti give a balance of food to ensure your little one gets all the vits they need image

I found giving a cuddle and settling my son helped, something like a toy or blanket to give comfort always helps. I think it is hard for little ones just want to check sometimes we are still around during in the night and who can blame them!!

Good luck!!
  • Options

if your little one is still wanting milk during the night its most likely hunger as well as comfort, it might be worth trying some weetabix or porridge before bed, i did this for my little one as she was doing the same and it helped a lot, good luck

• Options

Sometimes toddlers wake up at night for bottles not because they need a bottle, or really even need attention, but because they don't know how to go back to sleep without a bottle or mum! We all go through sleep cycles in the night and wake briefly between cycles, but most of the time we don't even notice because we then go straight into another sleep cycle. With a toddler who never learned how to go to sleep unassisted without mum or a bottle, they are going to actually get up at the end of a sleep cycle and need help going back to sleep. Sometimes by gradually weaning from the night time bottle, and helping your little one learn to go to sleep without help, she'll actually sleep better because she won't need you or the bottle after a sleep cycle ends! More on toddler night waking at http://www.toddler-tips-and-tricks.com/night-waking.html.

Of course, if she knows how to self-soothe and can usually go to sleep unassisted then she may actually still be hungry and you may want to help her get more calories during the day so she doesn't need them at night!

• Options

I don't know who told you a baby can not have milk until three years of age, but who ever it is I would stop listening to them because they obviously are not a doctor since every physician says to start whole milk at 10-12 months as long as the baby is eating well balanced meals...if a baby continues on formula or breast milk AND eats food like a healthy baby should be at that age, they would become severely obese....I'm also having a hard time getting my 13 month old to sleep threw the nite...I would LOVE any advice, but people who DO NOT know what they are talking about please done respond with your pointless comments....thank you to any and everyone who are actually helpful....it seems like one really long nite since she's been born with three hour naps breaking it up...uuuggghhh....lol..but my God do I love my girl😁😁😁😁

• Options

What magazines are you finding these articles in?...and honestly your post was obnoxious and condescending...please like I said before only give an opinion if it's educated...yours obviously are not

• Options

Hi All,

My just turned 12 month old baby goes to bed every night at the same time of 8pm, sometimes before depending on how tired she, but never after 8pm with a 6oz bottle. She wakes up during the night at about 1am and 4am.  Assuming she is hungry, i do a 6oz bottle.  Sometimes she drinks it all, and other times she doesn't.  I want to try and get her out of this habit, as i currently dread going to bed, knowing that i have to get up at least once.  Am i being selfish about my sleep deprivation?  Should she be sleeping through the night, and if i manage to stop her waking during the night, should i carry on giving her the 2 bottles of 4oz in the day.  Bear in mind i still give her SMA...should i be changing to full cows milk?.

Any help or advice would be greatly appricated

PS she is not teeting as far as i know, as she has had tooth 8 come through, but her 1st molars could be starting to come through 

I didn't spot the time you are woken in the morning. 8pm to morning is a long time for many grown ups. But no doubt you know with teeth, soon there will be a much wider variety of different kinds of food that will have more complex carbohydrates and sustain her for longer.
    I agree for now consider a formula for an older infant. Or perhaps you have a health visitor or a baby clinic that gets samples of baby products. They're useful to see what is enjoyed. Just because they're little doesn't mean they don't have their own individual preferences. What a n amazing new person you made.