Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Growth spurt/lack of milk/other?? Pls help!

My baby girl is 3 weeks old on Tuesday, she was tube fed at first in scbu due to being born at 34 weeks. Breastfeeding was established very well, and quickly, and it has being going really well. Last night however, she would feed for the usual time but then wouldnt settle, looking hungry again. I would feed her, and she'd go sleepy, but then still rooting and whinging when I put her down. This went on most of the night, every three hours but lasting 2-3 hours! I am exhausted, and despite feeding her again this morning she still looks hungry. Has my milk dried up? Or is this a growth spurt or something else? Has anyone experienced this? I am planning on expressing today and bottle feeding to check levels of milk, and see if its being snuggled into the breast that is making her fall asleep before she should be finishing. Hubby is also getting some formula, just in case, but I feel like such a failure to be even thinking about giving her formula.

Can anyone give me any advice? Thanks in advance image

Replies

• Options
    it definitely sounds like a growth spurt! and its crucial not to give formula during a growth spurt, she is feeding more often to up your supply, so if you give her formula, your body wont realise she needs the extra milk, so wont make it.

dont worry, growth spurts only last a couple of days!!!

if you do express, remember a pump will never get as much milk as a baby, you might manage to pump 2 or 3oz at this stage, but baby might be able to get another 2 or 3 oz after that, and if you feed an expressed bottle of milk, pump while hubby feeds her it, cos the more you pump, the more your supply will increase.

gorwing is hard work! and feeding every 2 to 3 hours is perfectly normal, my 11week old still feeds this often some days.

it will get better, stick it out, and dont give formula, that one bottle will hurt your supply inthe long run. its not worth it!

dont panic is all i can say, feed on demand, and if shes demanding it, feed her!and enjoy the cuddles while you feed her, before long you wont be able to pin her down long enough for a cuddle, enjoy it while it lasts!

Cylie + Andrew

11+3
  • Options
    Agree with the previous response! I remember the growth spurts well! Bloody hard work but she is feeding like mad to build up your supply so formula would affect it. It is hard but it doesnt last long and then she will go back to her regular pattern. Your milk certainly isn't drying up. Make sure you rest when you can and eat and drink lots (especially drinking. Also the breast pump wont get as much milk out as the baby so if you only get a little dont think this is all your baby is getting because she is a lot more effective than a pump at getting it out! xx
  • Options
    Thank you! She cluster fed between 3pm-7.45pm last night, 15 mins on, 15 mins off! It was much better than doing it in the middle of the night, and during the night she woke every 3 hours for a 20 min feed each time - much easier to cope with! Boobs feeling bigger and fuller, so obviouly my supply has grown, it all adds up now I have had some sleep image

Thank you for the support, hubby bought some Aptimil 1st yesterday, but it is staying FIRMLY in the cupboard lol.

I do love breastfeeding, and so pleased I didnt give up when the going got tough xxx