Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

HELP PLEASE

Hi, i need help i have a 4 wk old baby and am struggling w breastfeeding! My baby never seems satisfied when i breastfeed he is always still hungry so he starts screaming and crying i am forced to give him formula, i feel like such a failure of a mom because i cant even breastfeed my baby! What should i do? My biggest wish was to completely breastfeed him. :cry:

Replies

• Options
    Firstly you are not a failure at all. Let me tell you as an experienced breastfeeding mum and breastfeeding peer counsellor that what you are going through is normal. No one tells you when you decide to breast feed how hard it is. I struggled like hell for 6 weeks and nearly gave up loads of times. Let me tell you a couple of facts about breast feeding. It is not a lecture! Just to help you understand a few things which will help you make more sense for you and your baby. A new born baby's tummy is the size of his closed fist. It is teeny so he only needs a small amount of milk. However breast milk unlike formula is digested in under an hour so if he has a feed and wakes up and appears hungry, he well may be. Not because your milk is not good enough but because it is perfect for his tummy and he can digest it so well, he wants more! Breast milk is supply and demand. Basically if your baby is having a growth spurt and at 4 weeks he may be, he is asking for more milk so your body knows it needs to increase the amount it makes. The only down side to giving formula is that when you do that your body doesn't know you need to make more milk for your baby so it continues to make the same amount. Baby then wakes, wants a bigger feed but you don't have the amount he needs because as you gave formula the time before and your body although keeps making milk, doesn't up its supply. If you can do it, you would be best trying not to give any formula for at least 48 hours and feed feed feed. It will build your supply up. Once you have the supply he wants he will start to settle.

Another thing you could do is check with your Health Visitor or ask her to refer you to a feeding counsellor in your area to check he is latched on correctly. An incorrect latch can mean the baby doesn't get as much as he needs, gets tired easily, falls asleep and wakes up not happy.

Another thing is when your baby is awake and is happy and not searching for food or crying, offer him your breast. This will encourage him to suckle even for a short while and this fequently will build up your supply.

You could try some expressing milk if you have the time and energy. This will encourage your breasts to make more milk as it will think your baby is needing it (don't worry if you don't get much - babies are better at getting milk than a pump, doesn't mean your baby is not getting enough)

If you feed without formula, the latch is correct and your baby continues it may be a stage. If your baby is losing weight and not having enough wet nappies you could ask your GP to prescribe Domperidone which builds up milk supply, but this would be a last resort as this is often never needed and these teething problems can be overcome with all the things I have told you.

Fingers crossed this helps. Let me know how you get on and feel free to message me anytime for a chat xxx
  • Options
    Excellent advice given above, so much so that I have nothing to add, except to reinforce that what you are feeling is perfectly normal, have heard it so many times from so many other Mums, and went through it myself. I mix fed for 6 weeks because I was convinced I wasn't producing enough milk, but once I went to exclusive BF things were much better. I'm still BFing at 14 months (down to one feed now) and would never have thought I could get this far, but I did, and so can you. So keep going, you're doing brilliantly, you've got through the hardest bit, and things are about to get a lot easier, trust me.

Loads of love,

Rx
  • Options
    The first 6-8 weeks are the hardest because baby is constantly having growth spurts and you are just getting your supply establushed. Just feed feed feed, your baby will get enough. It's perfectly normal for breast fed babies to feed 10-12 times a day, does not mean you are not making enough.

Don't give up, it will get etter
  • Options
    much the same as above....don't give up just yet. Have you spoken to your HV for some advice? My lo is now 12 weeks and is breastfed.....and yes there have been times when I have felt like Daisy the cow as no sooner would I finish feeding, she would be screaming for more! This was in line with growth spurts and general hunger, but yes it felt like it would never end and that all I was was a milking machine. Is your baby putting on weight? This is the main indicator that you really are giving him enough. Is he coming off the boob looking satisfied? (full cheeks and a milky dribble?) Have you expressed at all? This will also give you an indicator of what you are producing.

I think the weight issue is your main indicator....I have known a few mummies that unfortunately just didn't produce any milk at all after giving birth and so HAD to use formula...but this was monitored closely by the HVs through watching the baby's weight and asking the mums to express. They also felt 'failures' at having to give formula....please don't feel this way. It is not failure....it will do no harm to your baby at all, and he will still get that special bond with you cos he is your boy and you are his mummy xxx
  • Options
    Expressing does not give an indication of your supply! Baby will always get more than a pump, some women cannot express at all!
  • Options
    I was terrible at expressing. I could only get about two ounces at a time but my baby got loads more as she gained weight and was very healthy. Expressing if you can do it and can be bothered (as if you're already feeding lots can seem a chore,) may help to build up your supply as it will make your body think it needs more milk. But the best way to build up your supply is feed, feed. feed xx