Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

history lesson please

I am not originally from the UK but have lived here for quite a while now... but not long enough to know why so many people here don't BF? Was there some time when it was "out of fashion"?

To be honest I never thought about it but my mum saw my birth plan template and asked why you get to choose between breast and bottle...

xxx

P.S I am NOT criticizing the UK, I love it here, I am just trying to understand where this particular thing comes from.

Replies

• Options
    Mainly I think because the support system is really rubbish and most birth units are not very good at advice and assistance for new mums so people give up. They are getting better though x
  • Options
    I think it went out of fashion when formula became more available (possibly the 50's) formula was seen as 'healthier' ,more discrete etc, etc. I think the aristocracy always had wet nurses so its quite a deep rooted thing here. I guess the british stiff upper lip has come into play here aswell (not so bad in scotland but from what I can see it is a lot less accepted in England then here) Then of course we are so 'Westernised' lack of family/community support, lack of seeing people breastfeed, sexualisation of breasts, idolising of the famous (boobs as part of fame/body image)

And I guess as a country we (I may get very shot down for this but truthfully I think its part of it)find alternatives when things are difficult, ie tired, sore, etc we turn to something else.

I guess its a whole culture thing that has been built upon for a very long time, which is why it is so hard to change attitudes. Don't quote me on any of this, its very much just an opinion x
  • Options
    Yeah it did go out of fashion in the 50's and loads of people used formula. Also now the support system is bad and I think because a lot of our mums didn't breast feed us there is less advice available. I breast fed my daughter but during pregnancy was given a steriliser by my mum and bottles from his mum. They couldn't understand why I would go to the hassle of breast feeding when we had both had formula and were perfectly fine on it! My mother in law has even said this time (am due next week) "So I guess you will be doing that breast feeding again will you?" I work with two girls from abroad and they simply don't understand why we would choose to bottle feed either. It is almost unheard of and only happens when there are medical reasons for it in their country. I wish people here were more supported with it as I bet more would feed their babies if they were x
  • Options
    unfortunaly some ladies dont have a choice and it just doesnt work (said lady) i do belive though that it is very much down to lack of support from both healthcare proffessionals and family, family esp feel they should be feeding your baby which cant be done when BF

BF support was introduced in my area when my son was already 4 months old so no good to me but i do hope it will still be around when i try with no2 as its been a great help to a friend of mine who is still going strong at 7 months

i think having a choice is a wonderful thing regardless of what the choice is between
  • Options
    I think the others are right - breastfeeding really fell out of fashion with the development of formula (which I found out the other day has been round for nearly 100 years now!). I think in the 20th century it has in part been an unintended consequence of feminism. Unfortunately in the early days being equal to men meant for a lot of women being LIKE men in terms of labour market participation (especially in the 1980s and 1990s) etc, which really eroded the traditional family arrangements, and made it less acceptable for a woman to want to stay at home to look after children. And if you're working full time it really is quite difficult to be able to breastfeed your baby without an understanding employer and the right job. Maternity legislation has gone some way to turning that around though by extending maternity leave periods, but there is still a long way to go to change the attitude of society.

I think the other issue is our parents' attitudes. When my mother had my sisters and me in the early 1980s breastfeeding was frowned upon and bottle feeding was the norm. My mother was adiment she was going to breastfeed with all of us, however, I was taken away from her and given a couple of bottles shortly after birth. She managed to stick to her guns though and fed me, and my two sisters (one of whom was 11 weeks prem) successfully. But for people who's parents didn't breastfeed it must seem like an alien concept for those parents and it's quite easy to see why some people experience a lot of negativity from those arround them. When you also think that a lot of midwives and Health Visitors (who are, on average, in their 50s) would have been faced with that culture themselves when they had children, you can see why there is a lack of support.

The lack of support and understanding by professionals doesn't help. So for example I was told by a HV when my dd was 6 weeks that I should put her on to a feeding schedule, and let someone else comfort her so she didn't smell milk. That sort of thing is not really very helpful when you're struggling, but being quite stubborn I just ignored her and did my own thing.

I do think things are getting better,m but you really have to look for support if you want it, rather than it being readily available. In a generation's time I think breastfeeding will be more accepted and supported, as we will be able to educate and support our daughters, and it does seem that there is an increase in people trying to brestfeed.

But I do also feel that some of the pro-breastfeeding campaigns are unbalanced, and rather than making people feel guilty (which is probably unintended), should be looking to increase awareness and support, and educate the professionals who are supposed to be helping us.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies

I am by no means against choice, was just wondering why most people chose the bottle.

Jellytots, I am in Scotland and I think you are right about it being more accepted, my MIL fed both my OH and BIL in the 80s which I am glad about because she doesn't question my choice.

...although she was told that her kid would have brain damage if she didn't manage to feed correctly within 30mins of the birth so I am not surprised that people gave up immediately

thanks again ladies and good luck to all of us who try image