Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

ebm/dummy question

i plan to breastfeed,this is my second baby. whats the deal with baby taking ebm,and when can you start offering it so they dont get teat confusion,and also with dummy? thanks peeps!

Replies

• Options
    We offered a dummy at about 2 weeks and ebm at about 3 weeks, no nipple confusion - she just point blank refused them!

My sister in law has recently moved onto combination feeding from 7 weeks though and has had no problems at all, i would suggest trying from as early as you feel comfortable with xx
  • Options
    It just depends, lots of differing opinions. In peer supporter training there was a huge debate about the whole thing. I personally didn't use a dummy cos I don't like them, but I know lots of people that have used them successfully and bf, I think the problem with them is that people can use them over feeding, eg during growth spurts so your supply doesn't keep up as they are sucking something else (rather than 'nipple confusion'.

I gave lo a bottle a few times before 6 weeks, and it didn't affect him but we didn't ever use them regularly, just as a last resort. I think 'confusion' is the wrong (albiet widely used) term, some babies get lazy and decide a bottle is easier. Sorry not much help but what I'm trying to say is it very much depends on the baby when you can start and if the take to it or not, or decide to go on nipple strike! x