Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Should she still be eating so often?

Hey ladies,

I posted this in my Born in forum, but thought you ladies could offer me some advice.

Jess is 9 weeks today and is still exclusively BF. The problem is, I think she's feeding too often!

I was feeling really proud of myself for stretching her from every 1 hour to 2 (on a good day!, but it's still really constant. I'm getting a bit desperate!

She won't take a bottle so we cant give her formula although we're trying every night with booby milk.

I'm just exhausted. I know she can go without for longer as she has a good 5 hours before she wakes in the night, but as soon as she's awake she wants it all the time!

I'm leaving her to cry for longer each time, but am trying to avoid going cold turkey with her. She won't let anyone else feed her either. I'm just at a complete loss. Surely every hour is far too frequent for a nine week old?

I feel like a complete failure and as if I've done something wrong. I'm starting to resent people who have a life outside baby and keep snapping at my hubby if he wants to go out. I'm desperately starting to panic as I have to go back to work in July. Just don't know what to do!

She won't let anyone else feed her. We left her with my parents last week and she screamed for four hours!

My mum thought she hated her.

We've tried giving her a dummy in between feeds, but she spits it out. We've tried Avent, Tommee Tippee and Mam bottles and have tried the Medela Calma teet too. Hubby has ordered a Medela special needs teet and a NUK bottle, but I don't know where else to go after that! I'm trying to break up her boob feeds by alternating boob and bottle. She takes a few sips and then spits it out when she realises what it is.

Please help before I completely lose my mind!

Hope you're all well,

Charlotte x

Replies

• Options
    probably not what you want to hear but my little one will normally feed every 2 hoursw during the day, but sleeps 9pm-6am.

i would suggest speaking to an ibclc accreddited breastfeeding counsellor to check your latch and milk transfer (ie if baby is actually drinking) and to evaluate the mouth in general

cos if baby isnt taking milk effectively then they will want to feed more often as theyre not getting as much in one go.

as o the bottle, my lo only takes one when absolutely necessary, he would prefer to wait for me to get back.

though perhaps try a higher teat flow, they may not be able to get th milk quick enouhg for their taste.

also try a doctor browns bottle
  • Options
    i should also say that he only really takes a bottle from my mum, he will take one from oh, but only if im nowhere around.

im generally at my mums everyday so he is very used to her being around.

if we're at mine or mums, then 2/3 hours is about right, if we're out in the car/pram then he will go up to 4/5 hours, hes quite good and seems to sense when he can just sit and feed and when he cant.

though if we're at home having a lazy day, he will happily feed constantly!
  • Options
    You're not a failure Charlotte. You are doing a wonderful job with your baby. I have a 4 year old who I breast fed 1-2 hourly for the first 4 months and was told it was normal for some babies. It may be your baby is only taking a small amount at each time and as breast milk is digested in one hour, after one hour your babys tummy is empty and that may be why. I now have a 4 week old and she does the same. Every hour through the day and every two at night.

Have you tried expressed breast milk/formula when your baby is not starving but still fairly full? Babies get frantic when they are hungry so something new doesnt appeal. Try when the baby has had some milk and is settled. Try a spoon to start with, giving sips so baby gets the taste before trying a bottle or a cup. Also make sure you are no where near so they cant see, hear or smell you. Make sure you are consistent with this.

I went back to work when my baby was 5 months and had started solids and she only had food and water and refused her milk from my husband but then had loads and made up for it once I came in from work. It is different when you are not there as they do begin to realise after a few days you arent there to feed them. It isnt nice as they do get upset to begin with but they arent silly, they wont starve themselves!

Good luck image
  • Options
    My daughter was hardly off the boob too. Again not what you want to hear but it will settle down. Hang in there you are doing an amazing job. As for the bottles, if you do want to introduce one I would stick with one type and not stress over it. She can probably smell you so let someone else offer it to her or put on a really thick jumper. My daughter wouldn't take a dummy either. We used TT bottles, my sister is getting on really well with breastflow ones. Don't panic yet hun she is still quite small, she obviously just loves being with you lots. It really will settle xx