Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

going back to work stress

we still have had limited success with getting LO to take ebm in a bottle and im going back to work in april. I can't help thinking things are not that likely to change now he's 4 months. I have a tommee tippy feeding cup that says suitable from four months but he seems so young to try him. Do you think it might be worth letting him chew on it a bit just to get used to it?

The more i think about it the more i think i would like LO to have as much breast milk as possible for as long as possible. It just doesnt seem fair i can't do this because i cant afford to have the year off image ive been told to feed him a couple of times a day and let him have water and food the rest of the time. Im working 3 shifts a week, do you think its possible for me to keep up by expressing enough for him in the days too? I know he'll be eating lots of food but fluid is still very importnat. And breast milk has so much in it i cant help feeling it would be better for him than water.

Most shifts i will hopefully get to express but due to the nature of my work i might sometimes struggle and i dont want to end up engorged. Also, do you think i should start freezing milk to store it up? How do i do this? and is it true it isnt as good for them once defrosted? Lots of things spinning round in my head..x

Replies

• Options
    If you have the tommee tippee 'first sippers' cup suitable from 4mths then give it a go. DD1 didn't take much to a bottle but loved her cup (which is also better for teething) gripping the handles & drinking away. Have both options on standby for DD2.
  • Options
    Hi,

Don't worry and ignore the age ranges on the cups and beakers you can buy - it means nothing! Just keep trying stuff until you find something that works.

I've copied and pasted my reply to another similar post...

My DD wouldn't take a bottle either and when she was 6 months and weaning I tried giving her water in one of these and it worked!

http://www.nuby-uk.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=45&product_id=279

I don't understand how or why this was the only thing she would drink out of but a few of my friends had success with them too. In the end I was glad she never had a bottle because she progressed from this to a sippy cup to an open top beaker really quickly and easily.

You can get them in Tesco so might be worth a try.

With regards to expressing at work, your employer is expected to provide you with the time and a suitable place to express. Although there is currently no legal obligation to do this, to not do it is discriminatory and would not go down well at a tribunal!

Read this...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/WorkAndFamilies/Pregnancyandmaternityrights/DG_065153

Good luck and don't worry.

Mrs B xxx
  • Options
    Hi,

Don't worry and ignore the age ranges on the cups and beakers you can buy - it means nothing! Just keep trying stuff until you find something that works.

I've copied and pasted my reply to another similar post...

My DD wouldn't take a bottle either and when she was 6 months and weaning I tried giving her water in one of these and it worked!

http://www.nuby-uk.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=45&product_id=279

I don't understand how or why this was the only thing she would drink out of but a few of my friends had success with them too. In the end I was glad she never had a bottle because she progressed from this to a sippy cup to an open top beaker really quickly and easily.

You can get them in Tesco so might be worth a try.

With regards to expressing at work, your employer is expected to provide you with the time and a suitable place to express. Although there is currently no legal obligation to do this, to not do it is discriminatory and would not go down well at a tribunal!

Read this...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/WorkAndFamilies/Pregnancyandmaternityrights/DG_065153

Also, speak to a BFing advisor, NCT or LLL or similar as they will give you loads of advice about the best times to express to maintain your supply and make it all work.

Good luck and don't worry.

Mrs B xxx
  • Options
    I have used frozen ebm a few times, i express every morning then freeze it so i've got a supply in case i want to leave baby with hubby for a bit. The only thing about storing is that i read you shouldn't keep it for more than 3 months, because your breast milk changes to meet the needs of your growing baby, so what needs at 3 months isn't the same as 6 months, so if you used old milk it wouldn't be right for him at that time. Hope that makes sense. Good luck. I'm also hoping to carry on as long as poss, but luckily i think i will be able to take a whole year off. I assume once he starts weaning he will need less milk anyway, but not sure about this yet.

xxx
  • Options
    thanks ladies am expressing tonight so will let you know!

I will try and contact someone re:getting plenty off for LO in my abscence, if he ever chooses to drink it out of anything!

Do babies after 6 months need water as much as food? I mean is it important they have water as well as food and milk? As i know if i was with him and he needed a drink id probably give him the breast, and although i cant nurse him when im at work i dont want him to miss out on the goodness of breast milk image

xxx
  • Options
    When I started my DD on solids I offered her water after each solid meal, but the rest of the time she BF.

As she naturally dropped feeds as she ate more solids I increased the availability of water and gave her free access to it if she wanted it. She seemed to know when she wanted water or a BF and drinking water didn't affect the amount she BF.

Mrs B xxx