Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby been in hospital, too late to establish breastfeeding?

To cut a long story short, my baby's been in hospital since birth and we're bringing him home today. He's 4 weeks old and for the first 3 weeks was fed via feeding tube, and the last week by bottles. I've been expressing since he was born and he has been fed this along with formula to top him up when I didn't produce enough.I'd really like to get breastfeeding established and we have tried a few times in hospital but as I couldn't be at the hospital for every feed, he's had mostly bottles. Is it now too late to start breastfeeding properly? I'm still expressing so know he's getting my milk but would really like to breastfeed if I can!

Replies

• Options
    In theory it's not too late but you probably will need help. I suggest that you talk to your infant feeding team if there is one in your area or contact la leche or nct. It will be all about whether he will latch on. It's likely to be hard work and worthwhile facing the fact that you will probably need to combination feed rather than exclusively bf (unless your are very lucky).

I had big struggles with bf so didn't feed properly for a couple of weeks but did get there in the end. Different set of issues with no 2 so couldn't feed or express for nearly 2 days, yet still managed to re-establish bf afterwards with a fair level of sccess.

Good luck with it and hope you manage to start.
  • Options
    hi

has he latched at the breast at all? If he's done this successfully then theres no reason at all why he can't still be bf. You may need to put some hardcore effort into breast feeding him and pumping for a while, giving him the ebm by bottle, to try and catch up with the lost supply where he's had formula. He's still going to need the formula but give him a breast feed and then ebm, and only give him formula after that. You should find your supply starts to catch up so the need for formula will dwindle, and the need for giving top ups of ebm may eventually stop. Your brain just needs to know he needs more producing for him (and obviously in the meantime you cant starve him, but you need to have the stimulation of the pump too). It will be tough for a short time but rest where possible, drink LOTS have a good diet, put the effort in now and its totally possible your supply will catch up - ive seen it happen lots. don't leave him long between feeds - no more than 3 hours and try to pump after a feed wherever possible.

if he's never latched on - this is where you'll need the real help. don't delay in getting help from your HV or la leche league, or childrens centres. someone needs to spend some time with the two of you - you need lots of skin to skin and attempts to get him on the breast at every feed before he has a bottle. It is possible to solely express for babies but its hard work and tough to produce enough - ive seen people do it but it will be hard to cancel out the formula this way, you need your boy to do the work too. Dont delay in asking for help as if you can get this off the ground now you'll be glad you did in the long run. Don't delay though as time is precious. Good luck with having your LO home.xx
  • Options
    i dont think its too late at all. it may take some effort but i would def give it a go. the important thing is to get the latch correct and i agree it may be a good idea to get some help with that at the beginning to avoid sore nipples. good luck!
  • Options
    He has latched on a few times and since he's been home (7pm last night!) ive been offering him the breast but only halfway or end of the feed, I didn't think to give it first. will def be trying that, thanks basscl.

We're a but restricted to a timetable of feeds as he's still on a lot of meds which have to be taken at strict times with feeds, about every 4 hours but will be trying the other advice thanks ladies.
  • Options
    Have a read of this and maybe do a bit more research - I wish I'd heard of it when I had latching problems with my DD. Apparently it can be really successful but I don't personally know of anyone who has done it.

Got to be worth a try though!

http://www.lactationconsultant.info/rebirth.html

http://www.diaryofafirstchild.com/2010/11/02/rebirthing-for-emotional-healing-and-breastfeeding-success/

Mrs B xxx
  • Options
    cas1980 its important you try him first when he's at his hungriest, then maybe get someone else to give ebm while you pump to cut the time down. If you try him mid way or at the end of the feed, he;ll just get used to having a bottle as its easier for him. And it isnt the same stimulation - your body needs his sucking to really get your supply going.

if it doesnt time in with his meds could you just save a bit of ebm to give with them? Baby's breast feeds arent really going to fit to a time table, wherever he's unsettled put him on the breast even if it isnt feed time, let him do it as much as possible.

Sounds like you have everything you need to make it work - he latches and you're determined. good luck. Can i ask what was wrong with him? Really hope he starts to feel better x