Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sad today - baby rejected me! :-(

Ryan is one on sunday, and we were going to make that his last breastfeeding day anyway, he's already weaned himself down to one feed a day, in the morning before breakfast. But he woke up today, i took him into the living room as usual and he latched on, had about two suckles and pulled away, and wouldn't have anymore. He then just had a little play like he didn't care. image Feel really sad, i know it was only going to be a few more days but for him to decide himself that it's over makes me feel like he really doesn't need me anymore.

I'm 13 weeks pregnant today, and just read in my weekly updates that the colostrum starts forming around this week, so don't know if my milk has changed a little and put him off or what. Had to start him on the soya milk in his cup, which he took to straight away so at least that's something.

Anyway, just come on to let my feelings out really. Hate how fast my little monkey is growing, but so proud of him at the same time!

xxx

Replies

• Options
    Aw hun it is hard when they do that. Both my boys did similar at same age. It is upsetting, but easier than forcing baby to stop! He sounds a happy well adjusted little boy. And won't be long and you Will be starting the Bf journey again! Have a good cry if you feel like it. I did each timeimage you have done a fab job Xxx
  • Options

ah tigerlilly, what am amazing job you've done - i'm sure ill be exactly the same when my LO self weans. I think the positive is that you never had to make him feel rejected - either by stopping him bf or by him seeing you bf your next LO, and wanting some!

its the end of an era for you and him but you are still his mummy and he loves you more than anything in the world. and you've so much to look forward to as a mummy of two.

big hug as i know ill be having a good cry and posting the same thing on here in the next few months x

• Options
    Thanks ladies, I did indeed have a little cry. He still loves his cuddles though so we snuggled up while he had his milk from a cup.

I guess it is much better that he's decided himself, i'm just surprised as he's always loved it so didn't think he'd ever self wean! xxx
  • Options

it is definately better that he has weaned himself.  Both my boys weaned themselves by dropping one feed at a time then dropped the last one just before they turned one x