Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Any tips for nips?!

I am due my 2nd baby in June and really want to breastfeed successfully this time round. Last time my nipple got horribly cracked and combined with my daughter gettig very poorly I only lasted 3 days exclusively BFing after that I expressed and my daughter was bottle fed and topped up woth formula - My attempt to reestablish once mu daughter was out of NICU and on ward with me failed as my nipples hadn't recovered sufficiently. Is there anything i can do to try and prepare my nipples in an effort to not get so bad again

Replies

• Options

Hello

I am no expert in this at all as i only have one baby who is 6 weeks old. I exclusively breastfeed her. In the first few weeks i really struggled with sore nipples but was determined to carry on and just went with the pain but i did use cream called Lansinoh HPA lanolin after every feed which really helped me. Hope you have better luck 2nd time round. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

Claire

• Options

I also found the Lansinoh cream great. It's expensive, but you don't need a lot, so it lasts for ages. Also, think about using nipple shields if it does get really bad. My left nipple cracked badly the second day, and I used a nipple shield that evening and night to give it a break, kept putting the cream on every hour and the next morning it was halfway healed, enough that it wasn't bleeding, although it was still quite sore.  

You can also put it on once a day in the last weeks (from say 36 weeks), my friend did that and never had a problem with cracked nipples.

Good luck!

• Options
    Hi, you can buy compresses, they're quite expensive but really worth it, better than anything I triex with my first baby. . If yu can make through the first 3wks..sounds like ages but seriously your nipples toughen up and soon you have no soreness at all and its quite pleasurable! All you have to contend with then is growth spurts and cluster feeding! If you Can stick with it it's so worth it but don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work out for you. Expressing a little milk at the end of a feed and rubbing it on your nipples leaving the air to dry them also helps except you have to sit with your boobs outimage . My mother was told to put lemon juice on her nipples can you imagine!! I know this post is late but hopefully you made it through the pain barrier!image