Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

up-all-night-75-months

Hi, I've been exclusively breastfeeding my son on demand,he's my second child and we've had a roller coaster so far- he had a brain hemorrhage at 5weeks and we spent 9days on hospital (if anyone has experienced similar I'd love to chat I have a thread under"baby") after this we discovered that he has silent reflux which I first thought was colic etc. The problem is with the reflix he was feeding to soothe pain as well as hunger and he fed constantly,when we we're in hosp I fed him to comfort him and help him sleep etc. I also had to hold him upright for half an hour after each feed before lying him down. Now I'm weaning him blw for the past month and he's doing great but not taking in the calories,also he hasn't taken a bottle just tippee cup and wont drink enough formula to be a feed! He's waking 4times a night for long feeds and yesterday I started spoon feeding him as well as blw in desperation. I go back to work soon and can't be up all night long. my husband is going to try him with a bottle again when I start work but if he's getting enough calories any ideas on how I get him to stay asleep ?he's in our room as he'll have to share with his brother when he's bigger so when he cries I jump up. Because of everything that's happened with him I'm a real softie and cant bear him suffering. .or me thinking he's suffering! He used to go 4-5hours between feeds at night which was perfectly doable and I love feeding him but do you think I'll have to do bottles to get him to stop every 2hours? I wanted to keep the night and morning feeds for a while longer but I'm not into breastfeeding for years. I've tried ignoring him to see if he'll resettle but he just wakes up more.. hes full of energy and curiosity and other than the lack of sleep I'm so happy he's doing so well.. sorry if this is rambling but I'm writing it between feeds at night lolimage Thanks.

Replies

• Options

It’s really painful to know about your son .For you to bottle feed him is a compulsion.

Slowly he will start bottle feeding. Its tough work may take two three days but don’t let your child sleep during day. You try and see this he will start sleeping during night and get up less frequently during night.

• Options
    Thanks patrice- I'll try to persist with a bottle to see if he'll take a bigger feed.
  • Options
    luloo said:
    Hi, I've been exclusively breastfeeding my son on demand,he's my second child and we've had a roller coaster so far- he had a brain hemorrhage at 5weeks and we spent 9days on hospital (if anyone has experienced similar I'd love to chat I have a thread under"baby") after this we discovered that he has silent reflux which I first thought was colic etc. The problem is with the reflix he was feeding to soothe pain as well as hunger and he fed constantly,when we we're in hosp I fed him to comfort him and help him sleep etc. I also had to hold him upright for half an hour after each feed before lying him down. Now I'm weaning him blw for the past month and he's doing great but not taking in the calories,also he hasn't taken a bottle just tippee cup and wont drink enough formula to be a feed! He's waking 4times a night for long feeds and yesterday I started spoon feeding him as well as blw in desperation. I go back to work soon and can't be up all night long. my husband is going to try him with a bottle again when I start work but if he's getting enough calories any ideas on how I get him to stay asleep ?he's in our room as he'll have to share with his brother when he's bigger so when he cries I jump up. Because of everything that's happened with him I'm a real softie and cant bear him suffering. .or me thinking he's suffering! He used to go 4-5hours between feeds at night which was perfectly doable and I love feeding him but do you think I'll have to do bottles to get him to stop every 2hours? I wanted to keep the night and morning feeds for a while longer but I'm not into breastfeeding for years. I've tried ignoring him to see if he'll resettle but he just wakes up more.. hes full of energy and curiosity and other than the lack of sleep I'm so happy he's doing so well.. sorry if this is rambling but I'm writing it between feeds at night lolimage Thanks.
    I would imagine it's a huge comfort for both yourselves and baby after what you have been through.
    I recently suffered a brain injury that caused total loss of motor function. It's taken 18 months just to be able to cope with everyday tasks. And I have the benefit of a degree of independence. 
    Despite your intentions, I would suggest you follow your heart for once. Everything will come together in time.