Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

The bond has changed

So, I had my baby boy October last year, making him now 6 months and I stopped breastfeeding this weekend and since then the bond has changed. 

I had to have an emergency c-section when he was born so I didn't get him straight away after he came out however, when i did get him, breastfeeding was very successful straight away. Knowing I didn't get that initial bond with him I kept him very close to me over the first few weeks of his life (he still sleeps in our bed now) and we had an incredible bond however I made the decision to stop breastfeeding as he got his first tooth last week and he was biting me. I went away for the weekend (he wouldnt take a bottle with me in the house) and my partner managed to make the transition from breast to bottle within a couple of days. I can now just about feed him a bottle. 

However, our bond has now completely changed. It's as if he doesn't want to be with me since he came off the boob and isn't interested in playing with me anymore, he has become less affectionate towards me and unusually for him wants to go to other people all of the time. 

i read a lot about the bond not changing for a lot of people once they stop breastfeeding and I know he may just be going through a stage where he wants to be a bit more independent But I would like to know if anyone else experienced anything like this when they stopped breastfeeding their little ones? 

Will it pass? 

How long did it last? 

What can I do? He doesn't seem to want to even be held by me! 

im finding it all a bit upsetting as the bond we created over the last 6 months seems to have changed some what dramatically and I just want to know if we will get it back or if it goes when the boob goes. 

I'm a first time mum and everyone is telling me that it wont/ wouldn't change anything as I'm his mother but something has definitely changed. Not just when feeding him.

please help!

Replies

• Options

So, I had my baby boy October last year, making him now 6 months and I stopped breastfeeding this weekend and since then the bond has changed. 

I had to have an emergency c-section when he was born so I didn't get him straight away after he came out however, when i did get him, breastfeeding was very successful straight away. Knowing I didn't get that initial bond with him I kept him very close to me over the first few weeks of his life (he still sleeps in our bed now) and we had an incredible bond however I made the decision to stop breastfeeding as he got his first tooth last week and he was biting me. I went away for the weekend (he wouldnt take a bottle with me in the house) and my partner managed to make the transition from breast to bottle within a couple of days. I can now just about feed him a bottle. 

However, our bond has now completely changed. It's as if he doesn't want to be with me since he came off the boob and isn't interested in playing with me anymore, he has become less affectionate towards me and unusually for him wants to go to other people all of the time. 

i read a lot about the bond not changing for a lot of people once they stop breastfeeding and I know he may just be going through a stage where he wants to be a bit more independent But I would like to know if anyone else experienced anything like this when they stopped breastfeeding their little ones? 

Will it pass? 

How long did it last? 

What can I do? He doesn't seem to want to even be held by me! 

im finding it all a bit upsetting as the bond we created over the last 6 months seems to have changed some what dramatically and I just want to know if we will get it back or if it goes when the boob goes. 

I'm a first time mum and everyone is telling me that it wont/ wouldn't change anything as I'm his mother but something has definitely changed. Not just when feeding him.

please help!

More than just nourishment, feeding is a hormonal response. The suckling stimulates hormones that you have come to recognise as "the let down reflex". Then there's a whole world of tangled hormones telling your body it must keep providing for this infant.
    The initial depression is known as "baby blues" but can sometimes be the beginning of a more profound and serious post natal depression.
    If you're concerned, don't think it's any weakness to ask a professional. 
    You are the most important thing in this little one's world and must look after yourself too. Try giving her an item of your clothing or sleep with one of her blankets so it has your scent.
    She will adjust. You're always the one who made her and kept her safe and sound. 💜