Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Exclusively breastfeeding, could I be pregnant?

Hi there,

im new to all of this so I am not sure that this is the right place to post but I have an almost 5 month old daughter who is exclusively breastfed. No dummies etc. She is still feeding during the night and I have not had a period and did start off using contraception but i had horrible side affects and it affected my supply. When I spoke to doctor, she advised that as long as I was exclusively breastfeeding, it would be very unlikely that I would get pregnant, that breastfeeding 98% effective rate as contraceptive and then only a 5% chance of getting pregnant before my first period.  So we figured that we would figure out contraception when I got a period as and if this was nearish our girl being a year then no need for contraception as we are planning/hoping for a 2 ish year gap. So we have been having unprotected sex (not often as I'm knackered lol) The last few weeks though I have been feeling very tired, emotional, PMT like. Cramps at night, night sweat type things, a bit faint and just a bit off. These are some of the symptoms I have had in pregnancy (I have had 2 previous pregnancies, first one was angel baby). I suppose my question is has anyone/know anyone got pregnant whilst breastfeeding and before having first period? 

I should test but I don't have any. I would consider another baby a blessing but a shock! 

just looking for any advice.

thanks.

S