Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Advice - breastfeeding & weight gain

Afternoon all,

E is 12 weeks, exclusivly breastfed but has short frequent feeds (every 2 hours for 5-7 mins). I took her to be weighed yesterday and she has only gained 9.5oz in 4 weeks, she has dropped from the 25th to 9th centile. HV made a point of telling me to bring her back in 2 weeks to get her re-checked. 

Now everything in me is telling me she is fine, she has gained some weight, she is happy, alert, sleeps well between feeds and sleeps fabulously at night. 

She has colic so gets very uncomfortable and fidgety but it’s niggling at me that she might not be getting enough.....and that’s why she is unsettled after feeds and not gaining ‘enough’ weight. 

Your view........

Replies

• Options

Hello, 

i was worried a lot with my lb who is breast fed about him putting on weight. I went by the wet and dirty nappy rule i obviously got him weighed too but if he had like i think its 7-8 wet nappies and just one dirty then i was happy! 

I am pretty sure my nephew only fed for 5-10 mins and he was fine and is still being breastfed and is 2 in Dec! 

I also always thoughr if he was hungry he would crying all the time not just every now and then! 

Hope this helps! 

• Options

A good way to check how much she is actually getting per feed is to take her to get weighed right before a feed, feed her there and then weigh her again... that way you can get a rally accurate account of how much she is consuming & then you can go from there