Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Working mom struggles - not producing enough breastmilk

My daughter is a little over 1 month old. I just went back to work so she is recieving a bottle along with me breastfeeding at night. The problem i am having is i only produce 4 ounces every pumping session but she seems to be needing 5 ounces out of the bottle. I maintain a good diet. Either oatmeal or kale omlet for breakfast tuna burger with flaxseed or spinach salad with flaxseed and sunflower seeds for lunch and a portioned dinner varies. I also snack on peanut butter flax seed cookiesor outmeal flaxseed bars. 

Idk what to do to get to 5 ounces while pumping. 

Replies

• Options

The way i understand it, the more you feed, the more milk you will produce, so i'm afraid while you're at work and baby isn't get breastmilk, the demand to produce in your body goes down, therefore you're not making enough. 

How often are you managing to pump during the day? Sorry you had to go back to work so soon.

• Options

2 or 3 times a day .i have my grandma text me everytime tye baby eats as well as i have her on somewhat of a schedule so i know the necessary times rmto feed at work. I also feed on demand at home or just latch her to reestablish a bond. Im hoping that will help. 

• Options

Sounds like you're doing everything right then - feeding on demand at home is great - i think it will help. 

• Options

Do you live in the states easterday? If so, there is a company called ‘Milkin’ Cookies’ that make lactation cookies and can deliver them nationwide. I used these and saw my milk supply increase substantially! & they taste YUMMY!!! I used to buy the big variety box & freeze them so they would last longer.. they defrost very quickly so it was no big deal just to take one out every day to have as a tasty treat! ☺️.

make sure that you are well hydrated too as degydration will cause your milk supply to drop. 

Good luck! 

• Options

Heres a link to their website: 

https://www.milkincookie.com/

• Options

Thank you!