Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

When did you stop sterilising bottles?

when did you stop sterilising bottles? My son is 6 months old and im wondering when people stopped and what you did instead...im going away and I don’t want the faff of the bottles...I know the only reason for sterilising bottles is to kill the bacteria from the milk but my son is milk protine intolerant so his formular has no milk in it xx

Replies

• Options

I sterilized my sons bottles until he was a year old. We travelled many times with him & wheb we did I would take the cold water sterilizing tablets with me.... they are tiny little things & all you need to do when you get to the hotel is use the ice bucket (or ask reception for a small bowl), fill with water, pop a tablet in it (i used half for a small bowl) & it’s goid to sit there for 24 hours... bottles, dummies etc just need to be put in the solution for 15 minutes & then they’re sterilized. 

You can get them in most chemists... Milton is the main brand but I know boots do their own brand version which are just as good. 

• Options

Will give it a try thank you x

• Options

NHS webit’s says 1 years old 😊

• Options

Website** 

• Options

Technically u only steralize until 6month.. there after everything only needs a good wash.. my boys 7month and i still do bottles... its habbit more than anything 

X

• Options

Just to add to post*** nhs does say until 1yr..

All other sites SUGGEST until 1 yr.. as l9ng as u dont leave boiled water cool8ng longer that 20min it shpuld still b roughly 70°C which will kill all formula milk...

Though better add that b4 ppl told me off haha 

X

• Options

I just do the bottles how my mum did them for me, apparently its changed loads of times over the years, so there isn't really a right way every night I wash out his 8 bottles sterilise them, but boiling water in them and then just leave them on the side... I add the powder to them as needed and he has a cold bottle, well not cold but room temperature as he won't drink it warm x

• Options

Realised I may as well just keep sterilising the bottles as its just quick and easy to do now I.have a routine with it, every night for nearly 7 months 😂 it's like the longest thing I have ever routinely done x