Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Husband won't let her breastfeed - but she really wants to.

I read on a different site recently that a woman wants to breastfeed her baby (not born yet) but her husband will not be 'letting' her - there was no reason given for his view. What would you do in that situation?

Replies

• Options
    Tell him to f~## off
  • Options
    LOL! what he can't see can't hurt him so he should not look! I think the woman in question is in real turmoil about it - as though he actually has a valid say....! Bizarre...
  • Options
    hi.
    id tell my husband where to go, and id do the same thing if he told me he wouldnt be "letting" me bottle feed. I think it would kind of get my back up being told what i am and am not "allowed" to do with my own body and my own baby. I think where parents opinions differ in this way the matter should be discussed, both parties allowed their say and the pros and cons weighed up etc.. just to say to a fully grown adult im not letting you do this i think is incredibly controlling.
    Yup i would say to my husband if he is not willing to discuss the matter of breast feeding like an adult and explain his reasons for not wanting me to breast feed ill do what i feel is right for my baby, not what some one "lets" me do or not do.
    Toni x
  • Options
    Some women need to stand up for themselves, if it is something that she wants to do for her baby then she should, breastfeeding is one of the most natural things in the world, not as though she is wanting to do something stupid or dangerous for the baby, like you said bizarre!
  • Options
    did any one watch "the Wright Stuff" on channel 5 on Tuesday (think it was Tuesday anyway) one of the topics was breasfeeding and why some women don't want to - one of the possible suggestions were due to jealousy on the part of the bloke! I mean, what is that all about? can't the men distinguish the difference between sexy breasts and nourishing breasts? there is a dual purpose to breasts to give and receive pleasure and to give perfect nutrition and creating bonding with the baby - get over it!!!!!
  • Options
    It sounds like the husband's jealous of the mother/baby relationship to me. I'm going to breastfeed and my hubby is very keen for me to express so he can share in the feeding from as early as possible, I can completely understand his point of view. All the books/websites that give advice on breastfeeding really push the bonding aspect of it and I feel its a little unfair that only the mother gets to experience this closeness. The government and Church still extol the virtues of two-parent families and then once baby comes the hubby is treated as not much more than a sperm donor. I love that my hubby wants to bond with our baby and that he is able to express his wishes in such a way that we can come to a compromise.
    Maybe this other woman's husband is unable to communicate to her that he wants to share the special experience. If he has a controlling personality anyway it may just come out more explicitly in this area than in others.
  • Options
    Pixie woo, I see what you mean but men need to understand that there are different ways of bonding with their babies. Not all babies will take a bottle so the sole 'feeder' could end up being the mother - I don't think the father would be reduced to being the sperm donor as there are loads of other aspects to good fatherhood.
  • Options
    I agree im the sole feeder yet one of my boys smiled at his dad first. he helps with them in other ways and has bonded through comforting them and bathing them. regards the hubby that wont let her b/feed, i would be a liitle worried. if he is jealous already what will happen when baby is actually born and takes up all of her time? and if its for sexual reasons hes gonna realise that a lot changes after you have seen your wife give birth!! x
  • Options
    Id ask wtf his problem was lol! Surly every parent wants whats best for the child and if she wants to give it a go then she should. My o/h is actually encouraging me to breast feed after i had problems last time. Hes not being pushy but said hed offer all the support he can to make sure our baby and me are doing whats best for us.
    Maybe this guy has a problem with sharing haha so my advice would be to grow up!!
  • Options
    what gives him the right to say what way the mother decides to feed her baby, and i dont think it would be to get up and do the night feeds either, i tried breastfeeding both my children, and after 5 days of breastfeeding my son and a tore and bleeding nipple it was my oh that told me not to put myself through it, but he supported me whatever way i choose to feed, at the end of the day its our bodies and noone should be telling us what to do with it. MEN!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    hubby sounds like a TW*T, pity she's having a baby with him really. poor baby having a father that doesn't want the best for it - what hope has it got. grrrr.
  • Options
    I read some good advice for fathers who feel left out when their partner is breastfeeding. Every now and then when breastfeeding the baby sit with your partner behind you (in between his legs). Therefore, when you are feeding the baby your partner can look down over your shoulder and baby can see you both. A friend of mine did this and she said it really helped her husband
  • Options
    And she's having a baby with him? Sounds a total k**bhead. My bloke is going to do one bottle a day of my milk as a bonding thing so he doesn't feel left out (if everything goes to plan).
    Every woman deserves proper support through pregnancy and child rearing, guess we are the lucky ones xx
  • Options
    Nothing to do with husband in my opinion, not something like this!
    It's nature, thats what they are there for!!!
  • Options
  • Options