Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breastfeeding whilst he is teething

Hello, 

I have been exclusively breastfeeding for 6 months and my baby has just got 2 teeth starting to come through. The feeding has got so painful that I am almost dreading it :( 

I have tried nipple shields and am using nipple cream but I think there must be a problem with the latch :/ I have tried different ways to hold him.

Does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• Options
    SmithL35 said:
    Hello, 

I have been exclusively breastfeeding for 6 months and my baby has just got 2 teeth starting to come through. The feeding has got so painful that I am almost dreading it :( 

I have tried nipple shields and am using nipple cream but I think there must be a problem with the latch :/ I have tried different ways to hold him.

Does anyone have any advice?
    When feeding baby pulls the aereola right to the back of the throat. So biting is not a part of suckling. It's just a reaction to this new feature of the mouth. Try and see if your little finger will stop it. Failing that, I would contact the LaLeche league. You're doing really well.