Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

in a sticky spot

hi ladies, im still early in my pregnancy but am already thinking of what to do once baby born. i want to stay at home as long as i can,and maybe indefinatly. mainly because i feel like thats best for us and also because my job involves shifts and i have family all working themselves so child care would be difficult.
the only thing that worries me is as this is my first baby i have no idea how much money babies cost and so i am asuming we will manage on a one income of hubbie,also his money due to increase 6 mth after baby due to be born.
i will mean living of my SMP until then as our extra money not including food/bills-ect-hubbie can pay all that ok.
can this be done? or am i being unrealistic? i no i may have to go back to work,but do a 9-5,if i have too . do you miss having the extra income? i no its finding a balance.
also to be honest i dont no how i feel about nursery/childminders ect,im not saying thats something is wrong with that at all,i guess i just always wanted it to be me.

Replies

• Options
    Babies can be expensive yes but they don't have to cost a fortune hun. I know it can be a bit diff when it's ur 1st coz u want everything to be perfect but I do recommend shopping around for deals etc! Plus, don't forget, once baby is here, u will get child benefit and u'll be entitled to child tax credits too so although not a fortune, every bit helps. It is doable as long as you don't go overboard - stick to real essentials for 1st few months!!

take care and best of luck xx
  • Options
    My babies are 28 months and 8months and i haven't worked since i was six months pregnant with my first baby. Babies don't have to cost the earth and a great tip is make a list of all the things you think you need then ask someone who's alreay got children to go through it with you or even the health visitor or midwife. I wish i had as i was shocked how little you really do use once little one is here. NCT nearly new sales are fab and there is a great book on sale called "how to have a baby on ebay" which is supposed to be brilliant. Mamma and Pappas have a great "factory shop" where you can buy ex-showroom items at a fraction of the price. Making a comprehensive list (boring i know) of all your incomings and outgoings really helps to put your mind at ease over finance. I intended to go back to work part time but never did and i'm glad i made that choice and had the option financially to do so. I do sometimes miss the financial indepedance of having my "own" money although my husbabnd never questions what i spend and i do sometimes feel a bit brain dead but i love being a stay at home mum and when i think of all the things i would have missed if i had gone back to work i know i made the right the choice. I hope this helps jo x
  • Options
    yes we have made up lists and that and do no,we will have all things covered -and have my mat pay as the extra money for whatevers really.
    its just the luxuries out the window and my hubbie is also great and said if i want just to ask and ino that will be the case.
    i guess i just worry long term
  • Options
    Hiya
    I am in agreement with Jojomummy.
    I remember when asked what did I want to be when I grew up I answered a housewife and mother. This is what I want and feel myself that there is no-one better to care for my children than me.
    NCT sales are great and you really don't need very much stuff for a baby.
    Yes it can be hard and I also miss being financially independent.
    My hubbie is great and is working long hours so I can be at home, but he also makes sure he is here everyday to play for a min of an hour & half with her to himself. I use that time to do stuff around the house. I did make sure that before I finished work I had paid off all that I owed.
    Best of Luck
    Ell