Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Part-time?

Hi, I would like some advice please!

I'm currently on maternity leave & am thinking of returning to work Feb/March next year. I work full time, Monday-Friday, but am considering dropping a day.

I have already discussed with my manager re. initially going back 'full-time', but for a month or 2 & using holidays to take 1 or 2 days off per week. I think this way it will ease me back into work and my daughter into nursery, whilst also having the opportunity to try out part-time hours. I am thinking of this already, as the earlier I can mention it to my manager perhaps the greater the chance of my request being granted (especially with working in the NHS & all the problems that seem to be currently looming).

So I am looking for your advice or experiences of going from full to part-time... if I were to drop a day, which day would be best & why?

I have been given conflicting advice from friends already, such as: Drop the Monday or Friday, so I could have long weekends OR drop the Wednesday, so as to break the week up. What's best?!

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks,

Anna.

(Also in Baby)

Replies

• Options
    Hi not sure if there is a best day really as it will depend what suits you and your lo but may also be dictated by your employer and your childcare arrangements. If you could work 3 longer shifts rather than 4 or 5 shorter shifts I'd say it would definately be worth considering that.
    If you could arrange your shifts so that your oh could help with childcare too that would be helpful too. It doesn't necessarily mean you work opposite each other otherwise you never see each other and that sucks although it is nice for the children but if you did work one really long day and your husband could finish early on that day it wouldn't be such a long day for your lo in childcare. I finish at 6 on a Monday but my husband is allowed to work through his Lunch and he finishes fairly early anyway so by finishing earlier on that 1 day he can pick the children up.
    Sorry not much help but good luck with however you do it. Xx
  • Options
    Hiya honey
    I think you would probably have to have a look at your maternity policy re: going back to work. I know all parents have a right to change their hours / days to accomodate 'flexible working' although the employer does not have to agree to what you would like (but they have to have a very strong reason why not). You can always appeal their decision too through your union.

Im not sure if www.directgov.uk have any info on your right etc. Always worth knowing the facts before you ask i think.

Good luck H x
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies!
    I'm pretty lucky, as the dept. I work in has had a bit of a baby boom in the past few years, & 2 of my colleagues (audiologists, like myself) reduced their hours when they came back off mat. leave. One dropped 1 x day & the other 2 x days... our boss & HR were very accommodating, i think because we're a pretty big dept. & can book patients around the staffing on different days.
    I've been thinking that dropping a Monday would be good, so I'd get long weekends with our daughter & no hassles when there's a bank hol etc. I know I can only request it & cross my fingers & I'll try it out initially by taking holidays when I go back (am going back "full-time" to begin with). But fingers crossed they'll say yes to my request, which I think they may, as no one else has a Monday off image
    Thanks again for your replies x

[Modified by: 7banana7 on September 19, 2010 05:58 PM]

• Options
    I came back to work doing 3 days a week after working full tiome before maternity leave. I do Monday to Wednesday. From my perspective, I like doing three days in a row as I feel that when its over, its over iykwim. Also, as hubby works Monday to Friday, I think it is best that we both get that Sunday night "oh gawd, work tomorrow" feeling together! And also, my holidays haven't been caculated with reference to bank holidays, so I get 4 bank holidays a year which are guaranteed to fall on Mondays (Easter Monday, the 2 May holidatys and August bank holiday) off work in addition to my normal holidays, which I wouldn't get if I worked say Tuesday to Thursday.

Good luck with your request!