Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone a student Nurse and pregnant? I'm fed up!

I just wanted to know if I'm not the only one who is a student nurse that is pregant.

Ever since I became pregnant, I have received so much critism and nasty remarks from mentors and dirty looks from other professional in the hospital that am often left crying in the loo's.

Like today, I started a new placement. Went in, introduced my self and all I got was "You epecting?" I said yes. She replied "why are you training, was it planned or an accident and gave me a big speech about being responsible.

Thing is, me and my partner already have a 4 yr old boy and have been trying for this baby for 2 years. We are such a happy family and really looking forward to our new arival.

What's wrong with having a lovely family and wanting to better yourself and provide a better life for your kids?
If I was in the benifit office signing on every week for the rest of my life then i'm sure people would also have comments to make.

I somtimes feel so down.:\?:cry::\(

Replies

• Options
    Hi I think it was you who emailed me? I am a student nurse and only in my first year. dont worry about what others say they will get over themselves!! Im due in january what about you? where abouts in the country are you?
    Im doing ADv dip in adult Nursing, what about you? I missed some of my first placement and I am going back to finish off. Personally I havent found any problems with anyone at Uni saying anything negative, although I am sure some people speak behind my back but tbh I dont care I am happy and have a lovely happy family,like you!
    Are you seconded? I havent spoken to my seconding trust yet but they are aware that I am pregnant as my tutor asked me if she could tell them and I said yes, so all I need to do after my 12 week scan is make a few phone calls, as I need to go onto tracking as im taking 9 months out. The Uni have been really good with me and said not to worry if im short of placement hours when I go on mat leave as long as my theory and benchmarks are done.
    would love to hear about how you are getting on xx
  • Options
    Hi. Wasn't me who texted you. Thanks for your reply.
    I'm studying in South east London also doing Diploma. Got three weeks left of placement and 4 weeks of transition then first year finished! done and passed all the exams.
    I caught the norovirus from one of the wards so was in hospital for a while so like you, also missed alot of placement. When did you start first year and where you studying?

• Options
    Hi studying in dorset, stated in January this year. I will finish my first year and go back to start my 2nd year in september 2010. when are you going back?
    I have no idea who emailed me then,lol!
  • Options
    I will also start second year sep 2010. How many months pregnant are you? I'm 5 months now.
  • Options
    Hi im almost 12 weeks. I will be finishing my last placement when im just over 37 weeks but in a way it will be nice as it means I will have more time at home after the baby is here! (if i took mat leave ear;lier I would have to go back at easter as I wouldnt be able to afford to take more time off!)
    :\)
  • Options
    Hi

Does anyone know what happens when you notify the uni that you are pregnant. Do they take you off the course immediately or let you carry on with the course until you go on maternity leave?

• Options

hi im 12 weeks pregnant and just started my first placement no they dont take you of the course, ive only just told them  and have done a risk asesment today   basically just saying mot to lift or be around xrays,  i was anoide because my mentor  made it clear about been absent ,  but if i have antinatle like i have this week for my twelve week scan, i have to go  i have to see my personal tutor and she mentioned that the couse is to fit around my pregnancy  but i am doing 10 hour shifts, need to know are the hours surpose to be shorter when pregnant, can any one help please

• Options

Doubt they will make them any shorter... I am a qualified nurse and we work 13.5 hr shifts and there are no concessions on hours or night duty! You're just expected to get on with it. You never know you may be lucky and student nurses may be more protected than qualifieds. xx

• Options

Hello I am currently studying Adult Nursing at University and will finish my first year in August as I am out on placement. I am worried with what my tutor will say when I see her next. I want to still finish my degree but will have to see what options are available for me. I travel over two hours to my university but there is one much closer to home that does nursing too and was maybe wondering if any one knew if my university would transfer me to the one closer to home as would be much helpful when the baby comes as my mum and partner are great and will help out but the university i am at is too far away for me when baby comes image. I went to the one away from home to live the student life but that didn't last long hope someone could get back to me soon thanks