Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Change of career?

Just wondering if any of you ladies have considered a change of career when pregnant or planning getting pregnant?

The reason I ask is that I work in a marketing agency. I work long, unpredictable hours...and I don't think I could work there if I had a baby.

The thing is, I'm highly qualified, I'm good at my job and I quite like my job (most of the time)...but I know it wouldn't suit being a mum.

Have any of you lovely ladies considered a career change? Or have any of you been in this situation? What did you do? Did you just cut your hours right back? Or what?

Replies

• Options
    Hi not quite a change of career as I never got the chance to start my career but I was in my final year at uni when i got pregnant doing a hospitality management degree, which as much as I loved hospitality work the hours and unpredictability of the hours just weren't practical espcially as my oh is a chef so at least one of us needed a flexible job incase lo is ill etc and as I am better qualified than my oh it was best that I look in a different industry.

I went back to work part time at first just doing temping to earn some money whilst I was looking I went to an agency as I just wasn't sure what I wante today and they looked at my qualifications past jobs etc and suggested a few and the most appealing to me was tax so that's where i am, I'm not a tax administrator at an accountancy firm adn working towards my professional qualifications. i quite enjoy my job and although i work full time i'm home by 5 and have the wkends with lo and if she's sick or I need to take her to an appointment then work are pretty flexible which is fab!

It depends on how you're employer is, how would they be if you had to leave suddenly cos your lo was ill or you had to take a day off if you had no childcare. mayb you could just cut down your hours or is it a job you could do from home? Again it depends on the type of organisation you work for but all working parents have the right to apply for flexible working hours. or could you do the same kind of job but possibly in a more family friendly way and a different job that still uses your skills and qualifications.

Sorry if it turned into a bit of a ramble but hope it helped a bit x