Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

anyone self employed?

if so what do you do?

Replies

• Options
    Yep, me and oh run an Ebay business.
  • Options
    Me too!

(Accountant)
  • Options
    We are events organisers and accommodation providers. :\)
  • Options
    I organise & hold music events and weddings at my home x
  • Options
    Good grief Carolyn, you must live somewhere really big & beautiful!
  • Options
    Hi Louise, well it is is beautiful, but not very big! My website is www.danbycastle.com the great thing with musical events is that it is easy to transform a field and we are surrounded by them and the farmers are always keen to earn some money! I only do fairly small musical events - upto 499 at the moment, but am hoping next year to do a 3,000 capacity one.

Wedding wise I got my licence a week ago and have our first wedding here on 18th July and am getting about 3 enquiries a day so hopefully it will build up into a good business.

By the way we have a long lease on the property - we dont own it unfortunately! Prior to us having it, it was just treated as an esate farm that happened to have a castle attached!!!

What type of events do you organise Louise?

C.x
  • Options
    was bein nosey and looking for ideas...!
  • Options
    Wow Carolyn, that looks fantastic! How lovely to live there...very grand! Bet you feel like lords & ladies lol.
    Sounds like your weddings will do really well. It's the sort of place I imagine a lot of people would love to hire out for their wedding as it is something a bit different too.

Well we actually deal with the bride & groom before they get to you...we do the hen & stag parties!
    Were just based in Blackpool at the mo (a fab h&s destination) but are in the process of offering our weekends on a national basis.
    I feel very fortunate as it's a job I absolutely adore, I love it image

Anyway good luck with the weddings & events, I'm sure you will do really, really well.

Stacyrbm, Kade loves the usbourne books, has loads of them :\)

• Options
    Thanks Louise - we do actually have 'haunted hen nights' here which are run by Abbey Ghost Hunters based in Whitby! I have my first one of those on 16th August, so will let you know how it goes!!!

It's great when you have a job you love and I really am loving mine - though it was really hard getting the planning permission for change of use, then the licence etc - so am hoping that by this time next year I can see that it is really working and that I might finally make some money!

Are you on facebook?
  • Options
    Unfortunately not image It's one of those things I've never got round to doing...really must get with it lol.

Ooo ghost hunting sounds good, love that kind of thing! Feel free to email me, would love to know how it goes :\)
  • Options
    Carolyn I just had a nosey at the castle and it looks gorgeous. I would say that you will get a lot of bookings when you get up and running with the weddings. Do you live in the same grounds as the castle? The views are lovely.
  • Options
    It is all one building (apart from the outbuildings and big bits of ruins. So the rooms that you can get married in are part of where we live - it does make it very, very dusty and full of spiders etc but you get used to it! The worst thing is that the general public can be so rude - sometimes they just walk straight into the house thinking that we are an english heritage property - despite the fact we have a sign on the gate that says it is a private home!!! Visitors are welcome but they are told to come to the back door and announce their arrival and I will open up the rooms etc. I have had people just roll up and start having a picnic on my lawn and when I remind them that it is a private residence they proceed to tell me it isn't!!!!! Nowt as queer as folk!
  • Options
    Thats a bit rude of them. It is a beautiful place. You are so lucky to live there. I hope everything works out well for you with the functions. I am sure it will with a place like that.