Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

If your baby is sick...

...at nursery or CM and needs to go home who collects your baby? Do you leave work or your oh and stay home with the baby or do you try and get someone else to look after lo? Has anyone had to leave work and stay at home with lo...what did your employer say?

Sorry to ask so many questions but im going back to work soon and just recently joshua has been quite ill. He goes to nursery already as we wanted to get him settlesd in before i went back to work and last week he had conjunctivitus and obviously couldnt go in so it was fine cos i was at home but im worried if it happens when im at work it will be me who has to leave my work rather then my oh. I havent got anyone else who could have him as my dad works FT and my mum is disabled so untill he's walking properly she cant have him by herself and my sister is at uni so thats not an option.

Any advice would be great x

Replies

• Options
    Hi,
    Your employer has to be sympathetic. You are allowed time off for your dependents expecially when illness excludes them from any public daycare. It's not really as if you have much choice. Someone has to look after little one. I don't think they have to pay you although your employer might, or if you dont want to lose pay you may be able to use your holidays.
    Personally i do not recall having to take time off as I've had MIL on standby.
    xx
  • Options
    If all else fails, just phone in sick yourself!
  • Options
    I'm a single mum & don't have family around so if the kids are sick its me who has to get them! Its happened a few times when i've been at work, my employers been fine, there's nothing else i can do! I don't get paid though if its not me thats ill so if they're ill at home i just ring up & say i'm ill instead!
  • Options
    as a parent you are entilted to 13 days a year for a child under 6 years of age,think your oh is entilted to the same,these days are not to affect you holidays or to be added as sickness,you do not however get paid for this but will obviously get paid for any time you did work,i found this on the govrnment website as i wanted to know where i stood if this happend which it did when my childminder went off sick

hope this helped a bit,lisa
  • Options
    personally i leave work and collect my daughter.she goes to grandparents while we are at work and is starting nursery in september but if she is ill at grandparents house then i still leave and take her home mainly because she is my responsiblity and its nice of her grandparents to have her whilst she is well,its not fair on them having her while she is ill. only had to leave to come home once in 3 years but have had 2 other times off with her poorly and you just have to remember to tell them its your child off sick not you because otherwise you will have a high sick leave!