Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Housework?

Not the most interesting topic in the world but i was just wondering how the hell everyone fits everything in, I only work weekday mornings but am really struggling to fit all the housework in.
I'm not houseproud or anything but find it is starting to get me down.
We have a dog who looses hair all year round which is a nightmare!

How does everyone else manage? Do you just never have any time to yourself?

Replies

• Options
    this could start a whole new rant page!

have just gone back to work, and oh was great, cooked dinner, sorted out the washing, bathed the kids etc. this lasted 2 days. now I put the washing on before work, get the kids ready, and tidy up when I get home. Everything else gets done whenever I have 5 minutes! I look at the unhoovered carpet and dusty shelves and think, why am I the only person in this house who can see it?
  • Options
    rota rota rota, sit down with oh, write down what needs doing & how often then agree who does what. I end up doing most but he empties bins, hoovers once a week all over ( I then do living room every other day cause thats the only place lo is on the floor) & he washes up every night then baths lo & gets him ready for bed. Like I said I still end up doing the majority of big jobs, like washing/ironing/washing floor/cleaning bathroom but these are once a week jobs so I try to get all laundry done by weekend then iron on a sunday evening in front of tv, clean bathroom one morning before showering, wash floors after oh has hoovred on a sunday, make beds every day & generally tidyup after lo has gone to bed, I also most days give lo dinner (but not all) & bedtime bottle as well as drop off & pick up at childminders but this way I get my evenings after 7.30pm free so am happy with the shareload most of the time.

I find the rota helps me too as I cn see exactly what needs doing & when I am doing it so i dont' get overwhelmed thinking I have to do more than I do. image
  • Options
    FUCK IT lol - just dont do it! my oh works offshore so i can be a bit lazy and not wash dishes or not do washing if i cant be bothered, as long as lo is fed, dogs are fed and am half fed thats it - i can quite happily just sit about playing with Lewis and doing things that i want to do, sorry if that pisses you off - but just chill, and think does it really need doing, the world wont end if you dont do washing just buy more clothes!

If i made a rota my oh would just laugh his arse off, when he is home he does everything anyway so i guess am pretty lucky! but then again he goes out alot when he is home too that pisses me off! He always asks how i manage when he is working little does he know that its a mad dash a couple of days before he gets home to get the house spick and span lol am a lazy shite lol
  • Options
    We have it sorted now and Thursday afternoon lo goes to nursery, hubby hoovers right through house and dusts and I mop and do all sinks and bathroom and toilets.
    Washing gets done regularly for lo and as and when for us.
    Cooking is a joint thing.

But basically Maddie comes first and I would rather spend time with her than have a spotless house, have found that a bit of organisation and getting hubby to pick up after himself means the mess is at a minimum.
  • Options
    If your oh was home full time mskene you may have a different idea about it but up to you isn't it. My oh is home every night & doesn't go out so we find that doing the jobs jointly means we both get a lot of time to spend with lo, it isn't a choise between one or the other but a case of us using the time to do both.

Glad you got something sorted sillymoo, I don't have a spotless house either but would rather that than a rank dirty one so once a week doing the big things like hoovering & bathrooms means that it only takes a few minutes to do a bit of daily maintenance & certainly does help when oh is picking up after themselves too.
  • Options
    hate housework, end up doing all of it on my own. then again every now and then oh surprises me by putting on washing, tidying kitchen or cleaning bathroom. doesn't help that we both quite messy. sat on sofa last night and looked at all the toys on the floor and thought fuck it, oh is out, i'm off for an early night in bed! then felt guilty so sorted kitchen before i went up.
  • Options
    yeah i probably would be diffrent if oh was home full time (probably be in a mental institution)! he drives me nuts when he is at home, but as said its just what we are used to!

I tried to tidy today and everytime i left the room Lewis screamed, just for attention - but he screamed and i would have to go play with him for awhile again! hoover was still sitting ready to go at tea time!

Am not a minker, i do clean and i am clean - i just take my time about it lol
  • Options
    Thats the problem I have, I think Maddie already hates cleaning cos if she is there when I try to do any she screams lol!