Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

training while on maternity leave?``

Hi - I understand that you are not allowed to take new employment while on maternity leave otherwise it invalidates your SMP.
I was wondering how things stand with attending training courses with taking a new job in mind. My old boss sold the business and the current state of play is the new owners have got rid of most of the staff, don't seem that keen to take me back, know they're obliged to but haven't bothered to confirm anything in writing. My old boss has recomended me for a new job but will possibly be to start fairly soon.as it will only be part-time i don't want to lose my SMP otherwise financially its not worth me losing all that money. However, if anything does come of this job i don't want to miss out on the opportunity.
Could i offer to attend 'training' at the new company - albeit unpaid if neccessary, so i can get the relevant experience and get my foot in the door without exempting myself from my SMP.
My SMP ends first week in August and the person i'd be replacing leaves in a month, i'm not sure if they would need me to start then or before so i would be trained up ready.

Replies

• Options
    hello julesy

i have a dti leaflet about maternity rights and it clearly states that you can do a 10 day training course for an existing job - without affecting your SMP.

leaflet is called:
    dti
    PREGNANCY AND WORK
    what you need to know as an employee
    babies due on or after 1 april 2007.
    (i picked it up in antenatal ward this week)

for further info leaflet tells you to go to
    www.direct gov.uk/employees

or you can ring ACAS Helpline on 08457 47 47 47

hope this helps chick!