Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Pregnancy related illnesses

I found out i was pregnant in november last year. I started bleeding and had severe morning sickness and was admitted to hospital and was off work from dec until feb.
I have since been dianosed with diabetes and told my baby is getting too big and i may have the baby early, i have been given a special diet and told that i will probably have to have insulin to prevent my baby getting really big causing it to be born before its lungs have developed.
I also have carpal tunnel syndrome and have no feeling in six of my fingers and have been told not to use a computer for long periods of time, not very good considering a work on a computer.
I have a weak bladder causing stress incontenice.

My baby is due on 31st july but will proibably come early. have been signed off work.
I recieved a letter this morning from my employer informing me a must see a nurse instructed by them to fine a treatment so that i can return to work.

Can anyone tell me if they can do this as i cant see the point as the only cure i can see is to have the baby. Im stressed enough as it is tryiung to make sure everything is ready for my baby coming as well as praying i dont have it early. I hate needles and am finding it difficult to deal with thought of having to give myself needles.

I just need some advice with regards to where i stand with the above issues and the way i am being treated????

Replies

• Options
    I can't really help you with this but didn't want to read and run! I can't believe they would treat you like this. If you have been signed off by a medical proffessional they can not pressure you to work while pregnant surely!! I am pretty sure one of your rights under maternity law is for time off while sick with pregnancy related illness without having to endure harrassment from work! I wish I could help you more but i didn't face this situation. have you tried looking on the government website or citizens advice for advice on this?
    maybe you could see the nurse and show her the medical certificate and explain all your symptons? If she is a proper nurse there is no way she would be able to find anything that would enable you to get back to work in your current health state and it would be completely unethical of her to try!
    best of luck, julesy
  • Options
    Hi

From what you have said, you have been diagnosed with diabetes since going off on leave from work. All companies are legally obliged to do whatever they can to enable an employee to return to work after an extended period of leave, so they are within their rights to ask you to see a medical professional who can advise them on how this can be done, whether it is changing your current job, or maybe the hours you work, etc.

As Julesy says, any nurse they send you to see will not be able to find anything they can do to enable your return to work, due to the diabetes. It would appear to me that they are covering themselves, and also that the relevant people have not been appropriately informed of your diabetes.

I would say you have no need to worry at all, just go see whoever they want you to and you should be ok.

As always though, it depends on the company, but if they try to force you back while you aren't capable they would be digging themselves in a very big hole!

Don't stress, and hope it all works out ok for you x