Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Any tips for dealing with returning to work & don't want to

Hiya,

As the title says really. I am due to return to work part-time in October and I don't want to but I have to. We will really struggle financially if I don't and I would also have to pay back a huge amount in additional maternity pay if i didn't go back which we can't afford to do (which i have only just found out about so we have spent it!).

We don't live near enough to family for them to help out with childcare so DS will have to go to a nursery. The nursery is fantastic though & I know people who send their children there & their children love it. My DS is also very sociable so i'm sure he will love it and it will be good for him but I'm just not looking forward to having to leave him & not spending that time with him. I also feel really guilty, although I know there's nothing to feel guilty about, i can't help it.

I know October is a while away yet but i am worrying about it already and I just wondered if any of you ladies have any tips or advice on dealing with this so I don't end up a blubbering wreck on my first day back at work!!!

Thank you xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi mummyJK,

the best advice I can give you is stop thinking about it until you have to. Then get the first day over with, then the first week and it will start to feel better, not ok but better.
    The anticipation of returning to work is nearly always going to be worse than the reality.

I returned in April when lo was 7 months old. Things have changed, idefinatley am less interested than I used to be and when clocking off time comes, whats not done can wait until tomorrow I still miss lo on occassion but since he settled at nursery that is a huge relief.

I would suggest doing the settling in and leaving lo for a few days before you return to work asmy ds is very sociable also but when he started at nursery - when I was back at work it was to much, being left by mummy with grandparents was fine but then with strangers. it took about a month for him to settle in and get to know the girls properly. This did cause me worry and distraction.

Lastly if you wear you own clothes to work, buy yourself a new outfit , or maybe just handbag if cash is tight, get your hair done. If you looki you you feel good. The first day will fly by as everyone will want to talk and see pictures anyway.

good luck xx
  • Options
    Thank you very much, that makes me feel better. The nursery did mention the setting in days so I will definitely do that, thank you xx
  • Options
    I second the advice to not worry about it until closer to the time. Enjoy the months you have with your lo for the time being, as I found that they seemed a distant memory once I was back at work and into the swing of things.

I went back to work 3 days a week when lo was a year old. I have been back now for 18 months, and things are going well. I dreaded going back to work - I very nearly didn't actually turn up on my first day back. but really, it hasn't been anything like as bad as I'd feared. OK - there are hard days and easier days, but my lo is very happy with the nanny who looks after him, which is a huge relief. I still miss my lo like mad in the day, and I so look forward to going home to see him (I find myself talking out loud as if to him, when I'm on teh train home!) .

When I went back to work, I was still carrying a stone in post pregnancy weight (I have lost that now), and none of my clothes looked very nice on me. It didn't help my self-confidence and self-esteem at all, especially as the girls in work with me are mostly skinny and fashion conscious. I ended up buying some nice nwew thinsg to wear, but I wish I'd done this before going back to work so that i felt better about myself on the day I went back.

And I also found that organising something for my days off gave me something else to look forward to when i was in work.

Good luck, and enjoy your time x