Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Can my bosses do that?!

Iam 19 weeks pregnant and I will soon need to put in writing when i'm planning to take my maternity leave what my intentions are for coming back to work, when i first got pregnant i discussed this with my bosses i said i was thinking of coming back 4 days a week, and i would need to have the wed off as otherwise i wouldnt get free childcare (my mum), however when i mentioned this again last week, they ummed and ahhed and said i would have to ring them nearer the time as they dont know if i could have the wed off after all!  I thought i had certain rights and they have to accommodate me??? after all its not a huge thing i'm asking and thought i was doing the right thing by giving them plenty of notice (i have been to citizens advice but the lady i saw knew less that i did about maternity issues) Should i just put it in writing anyway (4 days and wed off) ??? 

Replies

• Options
    didnt want to read and run, but i have no idea, hopefully another one of the mums can help x x
  • Options

As far as I know you do have the right to your job back,and to ask them to consider you working part time.While they have to consider it seriously,they don't have to agree.

Two sites had information.One the CAB site.Maybe the lady you spoke to didn't have much knowledge ,but there's a little on the site.Also a site called is4profit,which I think is actually aimed at bosses.There were lots of other sites,they all seemed to agree with the above.I think they have to be shown to try to accomodate you,they can't just dismiss you(sex discrimination laws),but if they can't be flexible they're  within their rights to say no.

Sorry,that's as much as I understand it to be.

• Options

they have to have a very good reason not to give you less hours, it has to be detrimental to the business. 

• Options

Hi there.

I had a similar problem to you so I understand exactly how you feel. You want to get thing planned in your own mind now, but your employer isn't really making things very easy are they, which leaves you feeling stressed and upset.

There's actually a good leaflet in your introduction Bounty pack which the midwife should have given you at your booking in appointment (it's a Beers one) which gives all this specific info but it's also outlined in the Direct.gov website (specific link below).

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Flexibleworking/DG_10029491

You need to tell your employer in writing 15 weeks before your due date when you plan to start and end maternity leave.

You have the right to request "flexible working arrangements" until your child is 5 years old. Your employer must consider this fully and must give you a good reason for refusing. However, they can refuse, if giving you the flexible hours you request will be detrimental to their business. They don't however have to consider it or give an answer before you return to work, which doesn't help you at all.

The best thing I can say is do your best to stay "onside",  look at if your job could actually be completed in 4 days, and if not, whi in the organisation could actually carry out your job while you are away on a Wednesday. Does your organisation use many part-time people? Studies show that 2 part-timers are often more productive than one full-timer which is better for the employer.

I would suggest putting your leaving date in writing then making a request for flexible hours separately, which keeps the 2 things quite separate and apart. Make a written "case" to your employer about how flexible hours will benefit both them and you. It's up to you to show that this flexibility will work, then they have to show why it won't. Regardless of what you decide in the end (and you can wait until the end of your maternity leave to do this), you should tell them you're going back to ensure you get the full maternity pay and holiday pay you're entitled to, just incase you don't go back.

It's also worth mentioning that you are still entitled to any other benefits you normally get, while you're on maternity leave. So if that's staff discount, gym membership, 5 weeks holiday pay, you are still entitled to this.

To show you how this works, here's my example.

I'm due in May. I get 5 weeks paid holiday pay each year. I plan to take a weeks holiday in February, then my other 4 weeks in April, and start my 39 weeks statuatory maternity leave immediately after my 4 weeks holiday. This actually means that I will have 43 weeks off in total, 4 at full pay, 6 at 90% and the rest at SMP rates. When I return in 2011, I will still have 5 weeks holiday entitlement for that year, even though I won't return until February.

Hope this helps!

• Options

Hi - you don't mention what you do, but if they really won't agree to a 4 day week would it be possible to negotiate to work from home on the Wednesday ? As long as you have access to a PC and a broadband connection, then you can do pretty much everthing you do in the office from home without too much hassle. You'll probably have to give a job description listing and explain how you would do the same tasks from home, but it would be worth it

If they agree to it and you can prove it works, then in time you'll probably be able to swing more home working days per week which really helps once baby comes.

I've been doing it for nearly 10 years now + my boss is always singing the praises of working from home - you can be much more flexible with hours etc,and you tend to get much more done without other peoples phones to answer, taking messages etc

• Options

Thanks everyone for your comments and help!

I'm a Nursery Nurse so working from home isnt really and option, think i might get into trouble if I try and take children home with me! ha!!

But seriously..  I feel a bit more on top for the situation now, and i'm alot less stressed and i'm finally able to start enjoying my pregnancy. Think it helps as my bosses seem to have become a bit more understanding recently...2 other ladies at my work are also pregnant and I have a suspicion the bosses have done some reading up on pregnant employers rights and realised we have some!!!!

Anyway thanks again everyone, very much apprieciated,

Stacy.

• Options

I think it is difficult for pregnant women in work to get the information they want from their employers. I did all my research on the internet as I wanted some neutral advice. I was surprised really at the current policy for maternity pay but luckily my employers gave me a litttle extra time to be off work with some pay.

I found this page to a calculator which helps you wok out your smp entitlements:

http://www.ceridian.co.uk/hr/nav/payroll_advice/smp_calculator/1,4102,502,00.html

best wishes

lkay

• Options

I'm only 17 weeks but already my manager has asked me to tell her when I plan on leaving and also when I plan on coming back. I'm currently full-time and would like to come back part-time, but as yet haven't decided what hours/days I would like. She says that she has put the wheels in motion to draw up a job-share contract for me. I have told her that this isn't what I want, as I'm not prepared to work full-time whilst the other person is on holiday/sick leave. I think she thinks that this is an unreasonable request on my part which has made things a bit awkward.

I haven't really thought about the hours that I would be happy to go back to, but I don't think any specific days will matter as we'll have to pay for childcare whichever way. 

Good luck getting the hours that you want! 

Lisa