Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is this discrimination

I will try and keep this to the point but would be glad if any1 can give me any advice. I have told my manager I am pregnant (I'm only 11 weeks) and he has started making unfair comments to me for example when I mention holidays he says "you will have a year off soon why do u need holidays" and just brush me off also I said I may want to start my maternity leave just befor Xmas at about 31 weeks (due to stress at work at this time) and he said it is up to him when I start my maternity leave not up to me, I am pritty sure this is not true can any1 help?

Replies

• Options

He is wrong and hes treating you unfairly. you can take all your holidays before maternity,even add them on before your maternity starts. and its your choice to when you go on maternity- if you go early you will have to come back earlier remeber image you may want that time with your little baba rather than speding it at home while your pregnant xxx not sure who you go to totake action agaist him...mabe get a print out of your rights and give it to him...think he's feeling bitter because your pregnant and get a years off image what a douche lol

• Options
    You can start your maternity leave 11 weeks before your expected delivery date. He's talking rubbish.
  • Options

Supersquish and TriTread are right, you can take your leave as a normal employed person any time you like.  Is there an HR department at your company?  If so, it's definitely worth having a quite chat about this with them - they'll probably have a quiet chat with your boss (attitude adjustment!!).  Otherwise you could ask them to be present in a meeting with your boss while you tell him why you feel that he's being unfair.  That ought to stop him in his tracks and prevent the problem escalating.

If there isn't an HR department, you'll want to ask him for a meeting where you tell him that you think he's being unfair.  Take notes, email him the notes after the meeting.

HTH,  Jules