Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

confused about forms for benefits

I need help! I'm 18, working and pregnant with my first child. I am trying to apply for the maternity grant of £500 to help with things for the baby but I'm not recieving any benefits at the minute. I'm currently working in a factory doing 12 hour shifts and Im ment to be doing 48 hours per week. However I work through an agency so I'm not getting any hours in, I'll be lucky to get 12-24 hours per week. 

I have qualified for maternity Allowance as I didn't qualify to get paid from work because I have only been working there since July 2012. I'm wondering, can I wait until the baby has arrived, claim for child tax credits/working tax credits then will I have a better chance in getting the grant? I'm not even sure if I will be allowed to claim working tax credits either? Ahhh so confused!

Replies

• Options

Hi Stacey,

The forms for child benefit and Family Tax Credits are normally given to you within your bounty pack upon the birth of baby.  What you can claim will all come down to your individual circumstances (how many hrs you and/or your OH work, income coming in, etc...).  As for the maternity grant, I thought they stopped it a couple of years ago (unless I'm thinking of something else.)

• Options

Hi KazzieM

Thanks for the replyimage Where do I get this bounty pack from the hospital or midwife? Not really sure about anything. Also, they still do the Sure Start Maternity Grant but you have to be claiming certin benefits to get it now. Im currently working full time but I'm hoping to go part time after the baby. Do you know the maximum hours I can work to still claim for the benefits ( working tax credits etc)

Thanks