Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

when to tell work ?

I'm only 7 weeks pregnant but i'm find it hard to get time off work ! is it too early to tell my boss I need time off for midwife appointments ? x

Replies

• Options

Hi Babybump,

You don't have to notify work of your pregnancy until 15wks before baby is due (though many may guess before then) but only you can decide how soon to tell work, most will wait for the dating scan before notifying work (partly owing to knowing due date from scan & partly because the 1st 12wks are thought to be the most 'risky' as the baby is developing.

Once you do tell work though they are obliged to give you time of for any antenatal care (though you may need to provide notice in writing).  They should also perform a 'risk assessment' of your role as soon as possible after you notify them of pregnancy to ensure that your job doesn't place you nor your unborn baby at unnecessary risk of injury.

• Options
    Because of the nature of my work I told them as soon as I found out! I think it's helpful for them to know because of sickness and risk assessments etc. But ultimately it's up to you, congratulations image