Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Maternity leave for an NHS Nurse

I hope someone has the answer for me because i don’t really know what to do. I did work for about 3 months on a hospital as a nurse though the bank doing 30 hours a week In November of 2012 I applied for a post in the unit and I got a 1 year contract. I am happily pregnant but concerned about what maternity leave will I get. My contract finish on November of this year and my due date is on 21 of December. I am not really sure if i would qualify to the enhance maternity leave package from the NHS. Will the 3 months that I did work though bank count to make the one year needed? What will happen if they decided to not renew my contract and by the time my little one is born I am with no contract with the NHS, will I get any maternity or any help? Will I be better of starting my maternity leave just before my contract finish?

Please somebody help me I feel I am lost?

Replies

• Options
    Bank services doesn't normally count towards continuous service.

And it all depends what trust you work for.

When you were on the bank did you work every week?
  • Options
    I too am a nurse working with the NHS. Each trust will have their own policy, mine was a minimum of 26 weeks on a contract basis. Contact HR, or look on your computer system and download your local policy, if nothing else it should have relevant contact numbers for you.
  • Options

Thanks to both of you. I did work for every week when i was doing on the bank. Will have a look on the computer to see what i can find