Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

New Career, No Support

I apologize in advance if this turns out to be somewhat of a rant. My fiancee and I have been stressed out lately trying to re-wire our careers to fit our new lifestyles of parenthood. We are so confused and excited all at once! He is a music producer/engineer while I was a fashion stylist. He can remain in his position easier than I can, and definitely supports my desire to change gears in to something more baby friendly. As a stylist you are constantly moving, traveling, standing etc (which just won't work). I am 3 months pregnant now and have been greatly considering going to massage therapy school. I have always had an interest in that field and think it would be a great fit for myself and my family lifestyle. Whether I start coursework now, or start after birth with shorter night classes, I really think I could do this. Unfortunately I have no support from my mother which makes this really difficult. She never has anything nice to say and is constantly negative. She said I will never be able to do that, it isn't a good career, and I need to stop grabbing at straws in desperation. BUT I DONT FEEL DESPERATE. This is just something I want to do for me and my new family. She feels that I am unable to do anything new now that I am pregnant and I need to choose a field in which I previously have a skill set. She also said that I don't get to choose to do something that i WANT to do- now that I am pregnant thats out the window. That being said, I know starting a new chapter is going to be challenging, I just want to know if I am being unreasonable? Plenty of moms work and stay in school while pregnant, why can't I?