Forum home Toddlers & older children Children with special needs
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

CP?! :(

Hi,

I’m hoping some people can offer advice! 

My little one is 5 months and sometimes feels really stiff, and other times not. Her stomach is weak. Like once I had to use full force to lift her arm up. 

I first noticed things where odd when she looked asymmetrical, the left shoulder appears internally rotated and hand is 80% of the time with thumb in. 

She never really moves her arms above her shoulder. Only occasionally have I seen her do it. And it’s really hard to like get her in jackets etc! Her fingers seem curled.

The right side can also be fisted too but I would say more open than the left. 

Her movements can be jerky and her co-ordination for a 5 month old seems to be behind I would say. 

She can hold toys, and grab at toys and bring to midline, and bring to mouth etc. Prefers right but will use the left  

She has okay head control! 

She can roll back to front (right to left). On tummy time though she’s not very good at lifting her head. She’ll do it. Then get tired I guess and have to then lift it up again. 

Her legs also concern me. Again. Look asymmetrical. Can kick them, Infact does so quite a lot. My concern her is that the feet tends to turn inward, and she does cross them at the legs, and when kicking the legs will go over and under and hit each other after a few kicks. 

She can get feet to mouth and does play with them. 

She babbles, smiles, laughs, can track with her eyes. Very alert for sure, but we have to work hard for smiles/giggles. Sometimes just stares taking it all in!

When she’s eating and falling asleep her hands/arms will move up and down. 

She also arches her back ALOT. And I can’t think why! 

All I can think of is CP. 

I have seen a dr, general paediatrician, 2x nhs physios and they’ve all said she’s doing great developmentally and actually think I’m crazy first time mum. So much so I’ve got referred to a psychiatrist to help , but all I’m telling them is how much my little one has CP and no one believes me. 

Is there anyway the above could not be CP and something else? 

The only thing I can think of what caused it as I didn’t have a traumatic birth, but when she was 2 days old in the hospital, I was putting her the hospital crib and she sort of dropped into it. I didn’t think anything of it as she stayed asleep. Now I’m wondering what if she was unconscious or something and had lack of oxygen with brain swelling and I’ve not noticed! 

Help 

Replies

• Options
    Omg. I’ve just realised obviously you are right with the dropping in the cot it weren’t that. 

I think she was severely de-hydrated. Basically we went to the hospital as we thought she had reflux and constipation, and they said oh probably over feeding her…. So we dropped it down, and now I think she was too hungry and probably didn’t feed her enough for about a week and she got badly constipated! And basically we took her in cause she refused to feed! Now I’m thinking she was too weak to even suck. I can see photos of her looking back doing sheer hunger cues but we thought it was reflux. When we went in because of vomitting and not taking milk it was around 18hours before she was given fluids. She also lost weight. She was three weeks and 7lb 9oz

Would this have done damage?