Forum home Toddlers & older children Children's health
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

swine flu jab

hi girls i'm after some thoughts and opinions on the swine flu jab.

charlie received his letter yesterday for me to go ahead and make his appointment for his swine flu jab

i dont know if i should let him have it or not and just wondered what your thoughts and feelings were

thanks girls x x

Replies

• Options

I had a call last week from our surgery about the same thing.I said no,at the moment,still thinking .

I want to know more about the vaccine before they give it,it seems to have been rushed out in a panic so I want to wait a while.

Also one of mine definately(or as definate as you can be) had swine flu.She was ill for a few days.some of the others also had it for a few days.My eldest might have had it at the beginning of summer when it was going round the first time  and he didn't get it second time round,so probably has some immunity to it.,as will those who got it this winter if they get it again.

I know doctors are not going to be giving vaccinations that are dangerous but in the majority of cases it's just a nasty case of flu,so I don't know how necessary it is.There are cases with really bad complications,even deaths but usually there's been an underlying cause.Those are the ones we hear about and remember coo the people who get it and get better we don't even know about.

Were they to give the vaccination to everyone in the country though they could in theory wipe the disease out.

So haven't decided yet,I haven't heard any cases of bad reactions to the vaccine but I'll wait a while.

• Options
    hi i have had it my self due to underlined illness but i would advise anyone with little ones to have it as i have had a few friend with little ones that have been very ill with it
    no one in my house hold have had it so we have been very lucky but you just dont know
    jade xx
  • Options

I'm not taking the lads for 1,because the vaccine seems very new to a new disease,bit concerned how effective it is.

Also,sure Jc had it before christmas,spoke with gp on fri,when I took him with his eyes,he noticed I hadn't been in,and said it's personal choice,then pointed out flu kills more than swine flu-cheery doctor!!!

If any children have respiratory probs then I would,or indeed any adults,but as mine are tough nuts we'll pass on this.

• Options

recevied the letter last wk. also been thinking should i or not. 

i was offer to have the injection but i didnt take. reasons are lot of our drs and nurses didnt want 2 take cos none of them know the danger or side effect of the vaccine. so confuse now. may be i will wait for a couple of month.

• Options

another NO here!

none of the children in my family are having it, combined we have 15 under 5's and none of us want them to have it!

• Options

I ahd the jab, along with the seasonal flu jab due to my asthma.  Im not a fan of injections but thought that it best as if i get ill, who looks after the kids?  (even when I had pneumonia a couple of years ago, i did most of the running about-not good!)

Caitlin and Roo have just had theirs, simply because when they get ill, they get very ill and I really dont want that.  Connor is too old at the moment, but when he is called I will take him too.  The thing is although Caitlin hasnt had swine flu, im pretty sure she has been exposed to it, as her wee friend at nursery had it.  So will it be the vaccine or the fact that she has already been exposed that potentially protects her?

I totally understand why some dont want to get it however.  There are alot of unanswered questions, althoug we did get a wee leaflet about it, and i guess that i do kind of blindly do as im told, because i feel that they wouldnt suggest these things for the sake of it.  In reality, we probably wont know how effective the vaccine actually is, as it wont have been tested for as long as other vaccines.  And if it mutates, what happens then?

• Options
    I have just had my letter and I really dont know what to do, I am so in two minds,  He doesnt have any underlying health issues but if i dont take him and he gets swine flu quite badly I would never forgive myself, but then the jab is all so new, My OH is no use either - no help in the decision making process and I dont know what to do, I am running out of time though!
  • Options
    i m going to say this-and u lot will prob slate but im askin out of interest-what makes u all think u know beta than doctors?im more than happy 4 my two small ones to hav this jab cos im not a doctor so who am i to think i know best-i do not want my children to get swine flu and end up so sick i had my girl in hospital b4 xmas-its like the mmr-people thinkin it causes autism but 18mths ish is the age that gets diagnosed anyway so people link it-those professionals are there to know-if they say we shud then we should respect that they no and get on with-if i boycott this jab and god 4bid one of my kids got it badly or worse id neva 4give myself
  • Options

Hello

I have taken harry for all of his jabs up til now, but I have been told that not all docs/nurses have had it and my sisters doctor told her he wouldnt give his child it unless there was underlying health problems, that is why I am in two minds.  

I always tend to listen to the health professionals and I would feel really awful if Harry got it and I didnt take him for the Jab.  I have heard contratdicting information and that it can make you quite poorly having the jab.

I expect I will end up taking him but I want to do what is best for him.

• Options

Charmaine- so far mine have been fine since having it, however we were advised that there may be some side effects and they may be poorly for a few days.  Caitlin never even complained about her arm being sore and my arms were sore for a week!! 

In fact the advice i was given was pretty much the same as most of the vaccines that were offered to our children ie soreness/redness of site, flu like symptoms etc.  I do know of people who have collapsed after being given it, but are the surgeries keeping a tally of all the side effects.

Im sure you will go with your gut instinct.  Like i said previous, the little two are always very very ill when they get poorly (even a cold is an ordeal with those two!) and that was my only reason for them having it.    I just hope my gut instinct was right...

• Options

I don't think this is a case of  we all think we know better than doctors,and it's certainly nothing like the autism scares with the MMR jab.In that case a report was published  in 2004 by seemingly respected doctors that claimed to prove a link between the MMR and autism.Many of those who contributed to the report have recanted their claims,as it's become obvious it's wrong.Over the last 2 and a half years this reports been investigated by the GMC who have completely dicredited the report and those who publishedit because of the damage they have caused by their claims,and because of the biased way in which the information was gathered.

Swine flu is different,simply because no one really knows with this one.Nobody had met swine flu till last year,suddenly the country's in a panic,fuelled a lot by the media publishing all the most serious cases,not the many many who get swine flu and yes they're ill,but they get better after a few days.A vaccine has been rushed out and is on offer it seems to be seen to be doing something.Doctors aren't saying you must have this,I was asked  are you having?Well at the moment no.

I'm a big fan of vaccines,where necessary and a big fan of Doctor knows best but I don't do panic.I'll wait and see for now.

• Options
    I asked my doctor if it was necessary and she said considering i had two very healthy children who barely get colds she in my posistion wouldnt bother, theyll be offered again next year, year after and so on, like flu so when im told its necessary but my trusted family doctor they will have it, its the only one ive thought twice about!
  • Options

My consultant said that as the swine flu vacination was so new, there wasn't enough historical data to tell me if it was actually safe or not for me in pregnancy so I said no.

I think it's also evident (and many GP's are saying this) that there was an inital panic last year when no-one really knew how swine-flu was going to progress. it hasn't been the pandemic it was expected to be.

As far as anyone goes, my thoughts are that if you're generally well and fight off infections, don't have it, be that for a pregnant mum, toddler or older person.