Forum home Toddlers & older children Children's health
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Cooling pads

I have to get an operation in 2 weeks time.   To cut a long story short, Jack was a very big baby, and they never gave me any stiches after his birth.  Now I have to go in to get the damage fixed.  I am also getting a prolapse fixed.   I will be in hospital for 3 nights, and I will be very sore afterwards.  Has anyone used the cooling pads that are normally for after childbirth?

Are they any good?  Which ones would you reccommend? 

I am so so nervous, I cant't even sleep very well.  I have never had any operations before, not even my tonsills out, so I don't know what to expect.  I am even more nervous now than I was having my babies.

Replies

• Options

Oh Audrey don't be nervous(easier said than done),no I've not used cooling pads but they do sound good. Hope a lady has used them and can recomend some for you.

Good luck with your op hun,sounds like you'll be a new womanimage I'm sure nowt to worry about,make the most of lying in bed and having your meals cooked for you x x

• Options

Hopefully.  I'm still nervous though, even though it's quite a straighforward operation.  Suffering sleepless nights.

• Options

Oh no,can you take anything herbal to settle yourself?

I'm sure I'd be the same,but try your best to forget bout it,2 weeks is a long time to worry. Have you gogled the op,seen if anyone has positive comments about it?

• Options
    no, because I think I might get too much info.  I have an appointment with the consultant on Monday, and I can ask questions, and he is talking me through the operation.
  • Options

Hi Audrey12,

Sorry to hear you're having an op in a few weeks time image

We haven't got anything on cooling pads on the site but I've had a look for you and I've found a cool (literally!) pillow type thing which you can use for lot's of different things.

Take a look at the website - it's called Chillow. 

Hope this helps!

Kyrsty @ MadeForMums x

• Options

Hi Audrey

Best of luck with your operation, I hope you dont stress too much over the nex t couple of weeks waiting for the date to come.

Sorry not used the pads so cant say - but I have had a very tiny operation before and been under a general and it was all fine, it was a weird sensation going under and I actually quite liked it - super relaxing feeling - cold going up my arm next thing I am waking up.

Hope you are not too uncomy after.

Take care

x

• Options

Best of luck with your operation,Audrey.It's natural to be nervous(speaking as someone who bottled it and cancelled a wisdom teeth op twenty years ago and never went back).Try not to worry.

Not had any experience of the cooling pads but they sound like they'd help after.I hope you feel better about it after you speak to the consultant and they can answer some of your worries.They must do these operations all the time but it's different when it's happening to you.Try not to worry.

Good luck.

• Options

hi, i used it for my first birth. i bought it (2 cooling pads and a box of disposable insert) from Boots, feme pad is the brand. i hate it. it is super cold when first apply but within 5 min, it is so warm/lose the cold! even i got 2 to swap, it just wont last. take a long time (2 hours maybe) to freeze in fridge. i only used it for a couple of days as it is so troublesome. i dun find it useful at all. it is quite uncomfortable just to have the cold gel near there. it looks like a super thick santiary pad. it move when u sit or stand. there is no sticky bits to stick on your undies, not like a santiary pad. hope it helps.

• Options
    Good luck for Monday Audrey,make a list of anything you want to know about,then everything will be answered,let us know how you get on,thinking of you x
  • Options

Still another sleepless night.  I woke up at 2 am (thanks to Jack) then I didn't get back to sleep until after 6am, then woke at 7.30am to get the children up for school. 

I did get up during the night though, and did the dishes and got the clothes out of the washing machine, as I knew I couldn't get back to sleep, so no point in just lying there.

• Options
    Typical mum!!!!! I had same thing this am-up only half hour before,but sorted washing and did quick ironimage hope appt went well x
  • Options
    appointment has reassured me a bit, and i have been able to sleep the last 2 nights.  the consultant waan't very nice, but did say that it was a simple operation.  I have a prolapsed bladder, not womb, as I had first thought, as they had just said prolapse, but did not tell me what that meant.   He said my womb is fine, and the bladder is easily fixed.  I suppose compared to some women that he sees, my compaint is minor, and he made sure that i knew that.  He wasn't very nice at all, but I had to bit my lip as he's the man that will be doing the operation that i need, and I want him to do it well.
  • Options
    i would also recommend getting arnica 30cc tablets as this will help your recovery from operation to heal up stitches etc
  • Options

I'm pleased you have managed some sleep Audrey hun,that's good.

I'm afraid some consultants do suffer a bit of a god complex,I've met a few through taking my uncle to various appointments,and it's as if once they are in top position,bed side manner goes out the window,younger house officers are much nicer to patients.

Well,lets hope all his skill lies in his op skills,and not manner!!!!! Have you the actual date and time hun?

• Options

Yes, on Friday 22nd October, I have to be in the hospital at 8am, after having fasted from the night before.  I don't know what time the operation will be carried out at, so I hope I don't have to wait too long.  I will be starving, although I will probably be too nervous to feel like eating anyway.  If I am nervous now, what will I be like on that day? 

I think I will not be buying the cooling pads, as ET doesn't reccommend them.  Maybe they are aimed at the first time mum impulse buying.

• Options

Not long then hun,well yes your'e bound to be nervous that day,and no I doubt you'll be concerned bout food,but a nic sweet tea would help you.

I'm sure as long as you have mild baths and don't overdo anything for a while,you shouldn't need cooling pads,they sound lush but so many things are gimmicky I guess,after my c-sec,my scar was really horrible and as it was very very wrm,I used to hold a maternity pad against it with tee tree oil on it,that was lovely and soothing on the scar!!!