Forum home Toddlers & older children Children's health
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

post viral fatigue after chickenpox

Hi everyone. My 4 yr old DS has just gotten over chickenpox. He had it 13 days ago and all the spots have scabbed over. He's not been back to school yet as its been half term.

Anyway he's been complaining of feeling ill (sore throat) and has had a temperature which comes and goes over the last few days and he's just zapped of his energy. So i took him to the doctors yesterday and was told the poor thing has another virus because his immune system is so low and that chicken pox just attacks the immune system and it so easy to pick other stuff up. He also says he has post viral fatigue because of the chickenpox. The doctor said to keep giving him calpol, keep him warm and rest up image Poor little thing is so down in the dumps, and i can't blame him. 

Has anyone else experienced their child being ill straight after chickenpox? Is there anything i can give him to help him get better quickly and to help his energy? He already takes Haliborange Mr Men Immune Support vitamins, he eats plenty of fruit and veg, always has...is there anything else i can do? 

He's desperate to go back to school on Monday as he misses everyone so much image and i feel im letting him down because he just seems to be poorly all the time. 

Thanks

Replies

• Options

hi dominate, i can totally relate - when my daughter had the pox, she didn't suffer incredibly with the actual spots, but i remember she was really unwell after the spots had all dried up. She had a terrible cough and cold and temp too - i think all you can do is dose him up with calpol/ibpuprofen, and wait for it to pass. Lots of juice/liquid too. Also these viruses tend to pass quite quick, so he might well be well enough for school for on monday. Good luck and wishing your son better.