Forum home Toddlers & older children Children's health
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Chest infections and nursery (also posted in baby)

Hello

Does anyone know if children with chest infections are usually allowed in nursery? I had thought that usually they were supposed to be kept off but there was a girl in Avas nursery who had been diagnosed wiht one today?

thks

Replies

• Options
    Hi hun

I'm not entirely sure whether the nursery should allow them in or not, but as a parent I would certainly not send Harrison to nursery with one, mainly so that he didn't pass it on. It makes me so mad when parents send their kids in with something like that becasue it isn't fair on the other kids.

Harrison's nursery usually ask you not to bring them in if they're ill, but I don't take him anyway out of consideration.

xx
  • Options
    yeah, i did ask the nursery and they are happy for them to go in with an infection as long as they are manageable health wise if you see what i mean (just didn't know if this was the norm). its just that our dr's are of the opinion that she shouldn't have been at nursery due to the contageousness. we had to check wiht them if we should keep ava off due to her asplenia when there is a chest infection doing the rounds..... now i'm all in a quandry as to what to do!

• Options
    Hello hun,
    I am a nursery nurse and yes a child is allowed into nursery with a chest infection, however if she has a temperature she is excluded for 24hrs minimum and until temperature returned to normal. Also, there is exclusions, usually 48hrs for diarrhoea or vomiting, Then there are all the contageous childhood diseases, like chicken pox, that require longer exclusions. And rashes too may need doctors note saying its not contageous. All nurseries should supply parents with a detailed copy of the 'exclusion policy' in a contract or welcome pack, if not simply ask for one, as its good to know in advance is you will get turned away one day! xx