Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

exposure to chicken pox - advice pls

am going to go a quick google, but thought someone here might be able to help in the interim?

my 7yo cousin has got CP - she's at the spot phase (started coming through a few days ago) although apparently she doesn't have many.  we last saw them on the 6th dec for her nativity play.

questions are:

could C have potentially been infected?

if not, at what point is it safe to see them?  it's my bday tomorrow and i was going to invite them round for a takeaway (though i'm not going to do that now), but will we be ok for xmas?

tia Thanks

Replies

• Options

I'd phone your midwife.  I expect if you have seen them for nearly 2 weeks she wouldnt have had in then, but I'm no expert.  Although, C will get it at some point!  But I guess not great over Christmas. As for you, the midwife told me to phone her if I was exposed and they would check my bloods for immunity.

• Options

Unfortunately it can take 2-3 weeks for the spots to appear after exposure, so there is a chance you cousin was infectious when you saw them.  If the spots started coming a few days ago, she should be fine by Christmas, it's usually ok within a week I believe. x

• Options

D had pox when I was 15w pregnant. Dr said it was fine as I'd already had them and if I hadn't, it's only a worry in the last weeks of pg. if you have concerns though please call the midwife xx

• Options

oh yes, didn't really think about MY exposure, was more concerned about C!  i suppose i had better call the midwife to double check i'm ok (i have definitely had it, so hopefully i'm immune).

• Options

I think if you have had it then you are fine. It's one of the things they asked in my risk assessment at work, but I'm pretty sure you and baby are only at risk if you've never had it.

• Options

Generally if you have had it then you will have developed immunity but not always. I have had it twice and still don't have immunity.

• Options

You can be infectious with chicken pox 1-3 days before the spots come out until the last one has scabbed over. C could have been exposed depending on when the spots came out. It takes between 7-21 days to incubate. All info from nhs (one of E's little friends had it so we all had to read up about it).

You should be fine seeing them at Xmas as long as all  your cousin's spots are scabbed over (and I would've thought they would be by then).

• Options

Just read back over, I wouldn't have thought C would've been exposed. Sounds like it was too early (but does depend on when the spots came out).

• Options

thanks all.  i'll be on spot watch for C from now on.  sounds as if seeing my cousin at xmas won't be an issue (thank goodness, there would have been a RIOT if my youngest cousin wasn't allowed cuddles with C at xmas!)