Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Trips to the dentist

I have been put on Amoxillin after being told I have an absess under a back tooth. I am 34 weeks pregnant and have been really worried regarding this as I had to have an x-ray and also have to have the tooth taken out on Friday. I had phoned around and finally got someone in Delivery to answer wether or not an x-ray was safe in pregnancy, which I was told was fine and not to worry. I hate dentists and have been worried about having my tooth taken out incase it upset /stressed my pregnancy and also that there could be something else wrong!! I may be over worrying but I have never had this problem before. I went to the dentist with the same tooth around 6 weeks ago and was told then it would have to come out but they didn't want to do it while I was pregnant, hence an absess.
Anyone else been through the same thing? I just need convincing that all will be ok!! And that once the tooth has gone so will the absess!!!!:\?

Replies

• Options
    Hi caz
    Ideally it's best not to have tooth extracted whilst pregnant but due to abscess the tooth really should come out.
    Dentist prob didn't want to extract initially due to risk of bleeding or infection but any tooth that has abscessed really needs to come out asap.
    The antibiotics should start clearing up infection so that once the tooth is out the problem should be resolved fairly quickly.
    Try not to worry. Easier said than done I know!!
    xxxx
  • Options
    They have kind of decided that x-rays (if you have only a couple) are actually ok later on in pregnancy. In my mums day she had to be xrayed to see how I was going because I was late to arrive. Didn't do me any harm,