Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Flying in the First Trimester (also in DIO)

Has anyone flown whilst pregnant?

I am due to fly when I am 10 weeks to USA so its long haul. My doctor has said its ok but just wondered if anyone has had any experiences of flying.

Thanks girlies x

Replies

• Options
    Hey hun i flew when i was about 8 or 9 wks but it was short haul, everything was A okay with me!!!

have fun in the US
  • Options
    Its totally fine to fly when you are pregnant (think the cut off is about 28 weeks). The only reason the airline won't let you fly after that is in case you go into labour.
    I flew from Cape Town to Washington DC (17 hours!) when I was 14 and 19 weeks pregnant. I was totally fine. Just drink lots of water.
  • Options
    I did a 4 hour flight at 7 weeks and it was fine - i just drank lots of water.
    Have fun in teh states
  • Options
    Hiya, I did12 hrs to Mexico at 10 weeks no problem - lots of water, flight socks and don't tell the airline!
  • Options
    It's fine to fly. I'm cabin crew & was flying for up to 9 hours a day for 1st 4 weeks of pregnancy.

Have fun in USA, drink lots of water & kept moving about on the plane!!!

Jayne 35 days to go!!
  • Options
    I was in sales during my first pregnancy and did 12 flights in my first trimester - although all short haul with no problems. Also flew during my second trimester with no problems (again short haul).
    This time I've done 6 flights 2 long haul - all second trimester (finishing the day before I turned 28 weeksimage ) Again no probs.
    I'd recommend flight socks and plenty of water though. The water serves a dual purpose - it keeps you hydrated and makes sure you move about as you have to keep going to the looimage
  • Options
    I flew to the USA before I knew I was pregnant and back when I knew I was (although hadn't done a test). I think the cut off pont isa 28 weeks, so as others have said drink lots of water and make sure you keep mobile.

28 + 3
  • Options
    I flew to cuba at 6wks, back at 7 1/2. I found it stressful as I had a miscarriage at 8 weeks my previous pregnancy, but everything was absolutely fine. there is no danger from the actual flying, it's just some people say as risk MC is higher in 1st trimester that they wouldn't advise it. but if anything bad is gonna happen it makes no difference where you are. in the US with insurance you have no healthcare problems.

for the flight get your sexy flight socks. loads of water ( I found needed more than I usually do on a flight). also take plenty snacks as your taste might change while you're away, so even if you're on a good airline and usually like plane food you might not be able to stomach it. if you're going somewhere with insects you need DEET free repellants.

and, this might sound obvious, or you might not have thought of it this early on, but I ended up packing quite a few clothes that were too tight once I got there! especially make sure you have really comfy loose/stretchy trousers for the flying esp on way home when you may be bigger. also sitting for so long the pregnancy bloating may make you even bigger than usual on the flight.