Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Q for people who's Lo's are potty trained

Lennon has been in pants during the day for about a week now and no accidents,apart from no 2's as he has a conscious thing about that but sorry getting off why im writing this post lol

i just wanted to know how long you took to venture out with them just in pants,i mean i can nip to the shop but thats like 2 mins away and he can go to the childminders no problem but i like to go out with him on my days off and im just maybe stressing a bit about him telling me he needs.....finding a toilet close enough....and accidents if we dont find one in time,i obviously dont want to take lots of changes of clothes with me but 1 minute hes pissing like a race horse and the next it can be a good few hours...what do you ladies do?

thanks G x

Replies

• Options
    Hi,I always pack 2 sets of spare clothes just in case,and then it is just a case of constant reminding-I ask Pepi if she needs to go at least every 10 minutes.I always make sure she goes before boarding a bus or entering a supermarket,making it fun for her,etc look at that pretty stone,lets see if u can pee over it,she is still only small,so better if she pees on some stone outside then has an accident in the middle of a supermarket.I also have a travel potty that goes absolutely everywhere with us,as there is no way I would let her go anywhere near public toilets.
    We have pottete plus which is good as it uses liners so dont have to worry about wherte to empty it if stuck on a train etc.But that si for genuine emergencies only,if we cant get out to a grassy bit on time etc.
    Good luck hun.
  • Options
    I took Poppy's nappies off on a Saturday morning and that very day we went to Asda shopping. Like Sooky I would ask her before leaving the house, again at the shops and generally every 15 mins or so as a reminder. I bypassed the potty though and went straight to the toilet so she learned very quickly to hold herself until we could get to a toilet.
    I would say just go for it, take spare clothes in case of an accident but with a gentle reminder every so often, he should be fine.
    Best of luck!
  • Options
    thanks ladies,i think il just keep asking him then,hes usually the one to tell me he needs,i just ask when he starts touching more than normal,guess il never know how he will do unless i bite the bullet and see eh

thank you xx
  • Options
    I was confident after a few days/a week taking Evie out. However, she won't use toilets yet (even a couple of months on) so I bought an oversized pretty handbag from primark and take her potty out and about with us. It does give me the confidence that should she need a wee in the middle of the park where there are no toilets, she can still go confidently (don't think she'd entertain wee'ing on the ground in a million years I think she'd refuse and get upset).

He's only been doing it a week, and I found with Evie that as the weekd went on she was peeing less frequently, and bigger quantities of wee at a time. I think their muscles develop and with practise they are able to "hold" more for longer.

She will tell me when she needs to go, but if i pass a conveniant loo somewhere i take her in anyway and will ask her to try, 9 times out of 10 she will produce something.

I always make her go before leaving the house, and if we've travelled somewhere, eg, we travel 40mins on train/bus to music group one morning, then as soon as we get there i will take her so I know theres less chance of the group being interuppted for her to go pee.

xxx
  • Options
    hiya!! my lo is 31 months and been potty trained since just before she was 2. we have bought one of these

http://www.johnlewis.com/230617523/Product.aspx

"my carry potty"

it was a godsend out and about in those first few weeks ... and although our lo now goes on a toilet if we are going out for the day somewhere different (the zoo for example) then we still take it.. its brilliant! it can be used at home too, it is airtight so if there is nowhere to empty it then its perfectly fine to carry around and even use again if needs be.. its been perfect for us.

hth ...

xx