Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anemic, advice pls!

hi ladies

just had a call from my mw about my 28week bloods, and im anemic but she has only just bothered to call me! im 32+3 and when i saw her 10 days ago i told her iv been feeling poorly and having lots of dizzy spells and she just fobbed me off saying i should take a drink and eat when i go out, which i said i was already doing! so she said she would phone the hospital to see get my results that day and call me. but i never heard from her so assumed all was well as they normally only phone if there is a problem. i should have chased it myself! so now i need to take double the dose and she said i will get constipated etc. im really annoyed that this is only just being sorted out after i told her i felt ill! there have been plenty of other occasions that things havnt been done properly through mw not doing her job properly and im not impressed! so is anyone else anemic? and how aer you finding the iron tablets??

thanks

ashy x

Replies

• Options
    Hey, I went to my gp on friday with the exact same thing. My 12 week bloods are still not back and i'm 16 weeks so my midwife is doing more to check for anaemia.

I've been told that if tehy constipate you then they should keep trying you on ones that don't. I'm keen to avoid if I can so have been taking spatone which is kinder on your tummy. Iron rich water you put in orange juice.

Also been eating branflakes with raisins with a glass of oj for an iron boost xxx
  • Options
    i have to book my 28 weeks bloods as my MW cannot get blood from me but am scared as i know i will show anaemic.

I was at my 15week bloods and was prescibed iron tablets but i can't take them as the constipation is so bad and nothing helps it. I have been trying to regulate things with my diet but i know i will get in trouble!
  • Options
    Kat, try spatone or floradix. If anything it has cured my constipation! x
  • Options
    I'm taking floradix which has helped (i know because if i miss a day or 2 i start fainting!) You probably know this already but try and eat iron rich food - such as green leafy vegetables (watercress especially good) and spinach and eggs, eat an orange after as the Vitamin C helps your body to absorb the iron. Also dried apricots (unsulphured are best) are full of iron and make a good snack.

I'm 32+6 now so we are due pretty much the same time, my iron also low - not easy with a toddler to look after who doesnt sleep through the night yet!! so your not alone! Hope your feeling better soon x