Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Buying a new pram aaaarrrrggghhh

Hi Everyone

this is my 1st thread and i'm hoping for some advice.

i've seen the 'Graco Evo pushchair' from mothercare, i love it and it does say its suitable from birth.

what i would like to know is .... do i also need to purchase the carrycot aswell or will baby be ok in the pushchair for a few hours while i'm out and about? i've spoken to the assistant in store and she was very helpfull.

i've checked the pram over and the pram does lay flat (but not as flat as the carrycot)

i don't drive so i don't need to worry about baby being in the car seat for prolong periods aswell.

hope this makes sense, all feedback welcomed

Replies

• Options

for us the carrycot was a waste of money (different pram) as both of my babies were really long and only lasted until 10 and 8 weeks in the carrycot part, so i suppose it depends how big it is, also my first hated lying flat due to reflux so it was a complete waste of pennies for us, our probelm then was that the straps in the main but were too big so we used the carseat a lot until they were about 4/5 months,

• Options
    I think a long as their back is flat it didn't matter if its tilted slightly. However I too found that the straps didn't go small enough for my baby on the regular pushchair (and I did have the carrycot, think my dd was about 4 months when I tried to put her in pushchair) but maybe a thick padded liner would sort that problem? Good luck! X
  • Options

Personally i think the carrycot is important as it is not good for a newborn to be in a carseat for long periods of time, they need to be able to lie flat and stetch out whilst their spine is forming properly.  

I was always under the impression that the regular pushchair is from 6 months onwards and if the baby is a little small then a snug insert can be bought separately.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but a friend is a baby pediatrician and gave me this advice when she thought i was keeping my baby in his car seat for too long at a time!

• Options
    I think we are all agreed that prolonged use of a carseat is better avoided. I think the op was wondering if its ok to use a pushchair with a seat that is practically flat, just ever so slightly tilted. I was under the impression that this is ok, as the actual spine of the baby is flat. For example, the silver cross surfs seat unit (not carrycot) is suitable from birth, but not actually completely horizontal. So this would be similar to reflux babies where hv or midwife advises a prop underneath the head end of cot/moses. X